Question about USPS Overnight

aurareturn

Jul 1, 2005
How reliable is it?

I have a very important document that needs to get from California to Illinois by Thursday. If I ship it on Weds, will it get there by Thursday?

Zip code: 94118 to 62410

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
i found that usps priority mail got my stuff to cali from jersey a day faster and for half the price of ups 3 day select. for pretty much the same size packages.

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: aurareturn
Is there a specific time that I have to drop it off for Express Mail to work?

Yes. It varies by post office due to their collection times.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
How reliable is it?

Just like shortspanishguy, it hasn't failed me yet.

I've used USPS Overnight Express about 10 times in the past decade.

If I ship it on Weds, will it get there by Thursday?

Maybe. Have you checked USPS Express Mail Service Commitments?

If I read it correctly, USPS only guarantees two days unless you choose Post Office to Post Office then it will be there by Thursday 10AM. But the recipient will need to visit the post office to claim the package.

Originally posted by: shortspanishguy
I have never had it fail on me before.

Likewise and it's around $13.50 vs $25 for FedEx overnight.

Is there a specific time that I have to drop it off for Express Mail to work?
[/quote]

Yep and it's on USPS's website:
http://webapps.usps.com/expressmailcommitments/landing.jsp

2 Days 8:00 PM AIR MAIL FACILITY 660 WESTFIELD SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94128

2 Days 5:30 PM POST OFFICE 3245 GEARY BLVD SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94118

2 Days 4:00 PM POST OFFICE 3245 GEARY BLVD SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94118

I looked at FedEx and it's over $40. :(

You said it's a very important document, just how important and time critical is it?

Another option is DHL which charges $26.48 for overnight by Thursday March 1, 2007.

For future shipments if you're a CostCo member you may want to consider pre-paid envelopes.

Originally posted by: idiotekniQues
i found that usps priority mail got my stuff to cali from jersey a day faster and for half the price of ups 3 day select. for pretty much the same size packages.

Likewise. USPS Priority costs $4.55 with delivery confirmation and usually arrives within 3 days, sometimes sooner.

Hope that helps :)

RossMAN

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: 2Xtreme21
I do believe if it says overnight, it will be shipped... overnight.

They will tell you it will be shipped overnight. They will even punch some numbers in on thier little console to make it all the more believable. But odds are it will not get shipped overnight unless it is going from say New York to Boston.

Mar 9, 2005
Originally posted by: rudder
Originally posted by: 2Xtreme21
I do believe if it says overnight, it will be shipped... overnight.

They will tell you it will be shipped overnight. They will even punch some numbers in on thier little console to make it all the more believable. But odds are it will not get shipped overnight unless it is going from say New York to Boston.

Maryland to Arizona overnight worked for me.

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Sometimes it will take 2 days to ship, even if you select overnight. From GA to CA always takes 2 days express, but 3 days priority. Not worth the extra imho.

herbiehancock

May 11, 2006
USPS Express, or overnight, only guarantees overnight delivery to certain zip codes. Call your local PO and confirm if your ship-to zip code is within an overnight area, otherwise it will be 2-day, as was posted above. The more removed from a large, urban area the zip you're shipping to, the more likely it won't go overnight. Been there too many times.....35 miles outside Boston, MA is outside the overnight area and I have sent at least three packages to the same address up there (wife's father) and it's never gotten there overnight....always 2-day, despite the $12+ charge for a flat document Express envelope.

Believe it when it was posted above.........not everywhere USPS delivers is overnight!!!

aurareturn

Jul 1, 2005
I was at the post office today and the lady said it would take 2 days. So I said forget it and went with Priority instead because that takes 2 days also.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I was at the post office today and the lady said it would take 2 days. So I said forget it and went with Priority instead because that takes 2 days also.

I thought you said it has to arrive by Thursday?

IIRC priority isn't guaranteed 2 days so it might arrive Saturday or Monday.

Paulson

Elite Member
Feb 27, 2001
www.ifixidevices.com
From illinois to california it would take longer than a day. You have to bring the item to them by 12:30 in order for it to get delivered faster as well.

Also a general rule of thumb... if you're shipping in the same state, use priority mail or first class mail and it will more than likely get there next day for a lot cheaper.