question about trickle charging

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
A trickle charger I ordered arrived today but they sent the wrong one. What I got was the Noco Genius 1, I don't have time to return it and wait for the Genius 5 I ordered to come. Anyways my question, the box says it charges up to a 30ah battery. I understand a 1a trickle charger isn't what you're supposed to use on a completely dead car battery. But it's what I have at my disposal. I'm assuming the box saying it charges up to a 30ah battery is the max they recommend and charging higher ah batteries might kill the charger. I did Google trickle chargers and I see all sorts of stuff being said. If I leave it plugged in for 70 hours shouldn't it charge it to its max compacity? I've never used one on a battery that's been dead for months, or a 1ah on a car battery so maybe I don't know shit here. I switched the charger into force mode and it did detect the battery and is indicating it's charging. Is there any reason it won't be able to do a full charge? I know the battery will need to be replaced, but I'm just trying to get it to good enough where I can start it to back it out of the corner so I can work on it.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
In practical terms, it means you should pull the plug of the thing out early rather than let it run "all the way" if said battery has an Ah rating above 30 and you are raising it from rock bottom 0V or something. It is implied durability will likely not be there if you choose to charge many standard car batteries in such a manner.

However, if you don't let your car batteries run totally dead, it should be fine for any car battery as their Ah is not high. Deep cycles might still tax it much.

So, that spec basically is nothing to worry about unless you plan on using deep-cycle, forklifts, etc....

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
A deep cycle battery does better with slow charging.
Could be marketing FUD by NOCO, true.

Possibly just a way to keep themselves safe from a class-action lawsuit if these things die early. Since they are only 30 dollars, these things can undercut the sales of their more expensive chargers.

This internals of this charger might not have sufficient heat dissipation for long term use with high Ah configurations even though its charging amperage is 1A.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Thanks for the reply, it's a Saturn Sky so you have to remove the front panels and do a lot of nonsense just to take the battery out. I was going to find a way to squeeze in there and do the work. but if I took it back and it somehow tests good I'd have to put everything back for nothing. if this trickle charger goes up in smoke from being connected for 3 days then so be it. Was only $30.

Learned my lesson, I'm going to buy a battery tester, I see tons of Amazon with 500+ reviews but I don't trust Amazon reviews or sponsored products on there. If anyone has suggestion for a brand I'm all ears.

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
In real life though, I doubt a car battery will tax this thing. They are built for CCAs, not Ah. Real deep cycles got Ah in the hundreds but low CCAs. Deep cycles have thick plates and few of them. Car batteries have more surface area, so thinner plates and more of them.

If function is all that matters, the old-school carbon pile testers, even the Harbor Freight version will be just fine testing the "start-worthiness" of the battery.

If you more into seeing specific numbers, that is when a digital tester becomes useful.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
In real life though, I doubt a car battery will tax this thing. They are built for CCAs, not Ah. Real deep cycles got Ah in the hundreds but low CCAs. Deep cycles have thick plates and few of them. Car batteries have more surface area, so thinner plates and more of them.

If function is all that matters, the old-school carbon pile testers, even the Harbor Freight version will be just fine testing the "start-worthiness" of the battery.

If you more into seeing specific numbers, that is when a digital tester becomes useful.

THANK you I didn't even think to check Harbor Freight, digital with a display would be nice but HF has an old school one for $55. I Googled and just read HF stopped the 20% coupons for good a few months ago. WTF? I've never paid full price for anything there damn. I could go pick that up tomorrow. I'm sure for my once in a blue moon use it would be perfectly fine.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
THANK you I didn't even think to check Harbor Freight, digital with a display would be nice but HF has an old school one for $55. I Googled and just read HF stopped the 20% coupons for good a few months ago. WTF? I've never paid full price for anything there damn. I could go pick that up tomorrow. I'm sure for my once in a blue moon use it would be perfectly fine.
They still have them every so often but definitely not as regular.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
They still have them every so often but definitely not as regular.
Also, craigslist or Facebook Marketplace might have someone liquidating their old stuff.

HF might reduce coupons to only holiday only specials now....

Reactions: QueBert

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The $20 on is all you need for car batteries.
I think the bigger one is for the solar nerds and off-gridders using their deep cycles.

Reactions: QueBert