Question about the GPU shootoout - card recc?

reapers12guage

Aug 29, 2002
In the article "GPU Shootout with Unreal Tournament 2003 - July 2002" anandtech used an ATI Radeon 8500 (128MB). Does anyone know if this was the DDR card or the regular card? I am trying to pick a new card for my PC and that seemed to perform reasonably well for the price if it happens to be the non-DDR card. I am a bit confuzzled as to which card to get since my CPU is only a PIII 1GHz and I have 384 MB of ram. It seems as though I'd be CPU limited if I went for a super fast card and I'd never see the benefits anyway. Anyone have an answer to the 1st question or a recommendation on a video card that would be a good choice considering the CPU/price.

reaper

AnAndAustin

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
;) It was the DDR true ATI Rad8500. AFAIK (pretty far) all Rad8500 are DDR, some just have slightly lower or higher clocks. If you aren't thinking of upgrading the CPU in the next few months then a GF3 or Rad8500 are very wise choices, and your 1ghz CPU will still get good perf and features from these, well worth $100ish. If prices are about even a Rad8500 is preferable to GF3 without getting too deep, unless you really want the best AA and Aniso. Do strongly consider a 128MB card though, whatever you choose.