Question about the Dell 2408WFP

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
I currently watch TV on my computer with a TV tuner card (which remarkably is 10 years old and still chugging along great) but i was thinking maybe i could do away with the TV tuner card and hook my DTV to a Dell 2408WFP through the RCA composite input.
(i believe the technical term for those is "bananas" :) )

i didnt see this monitor in any of my local stores so i couldnt get close and check how this works.
can anyone tell me if they tried watching TV on this monitor? how does it work (specifically how do you switch between input modes), is there flickering/shadowing when watching high motion programs like sports?

and do other monitors have this capability as well? maybe something in the 22" range because i think 24" would be too much for me.

Thanks.

edit: of coruse i play games and surf and whatever but thats not the issue here....buying this expensive monitor just for watching TV would be stupid haha.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
If DTV = DirecTV you can do a lot better than composite RCA with that monitor. Upgrade to an HD box if yours doesn't already have 1080i and connect via component/DVI/HDMI. The 2408 seems to have good user feedback and 1920x1200 is definitely what you want for double-duty as an HDTV and PC monitor.

Keep in mind however, you will need some type of audio solution external to your PC, like a receiver or sound system that takes multiple inputs, as the HDCP signal will not pass through your PC at all like your old Tuner set-up. Going with a 1080p capable monitor also opens up other HD options like Blu-Ray PC drives.