Question about setting up a server/router/firewall.

chevelle396

Golden Member
May 10, 2001
I'm gonna try and put an extra pc I have to use as a server next year when I'm in the dorm at UT. I'd like to be able to connect the "server" to the wall socket, then connect my computer to the server. I'd like to have the server work as a router/firewall for any pc's I want to hook up to it, through a hub. Does this even sound remotely feasable? Am I spewing gibberish? Will I need 2 nics? Why are there ten hot dogs but only eight buns?

Tonec

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
Feasible but in a dorm, a small 4 port router may be a better choice than having an extra case in the room.

chevelle396

Golden Member
May 10, 2001
ok, planning on using win2k, i'm unfamiliar with linux. I think I'll dual-boot it though, need to learn.

smp

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
freesco is linux. Just not the whole package. Give linux a try man, it's not that hard, and saying that you got a linux router has way more .... geek merit, than saying that you're using a bloated OS like win2k just to use as a router. Linux is light and fluffy. (I like win2k, a lot though).. but yeah, freesco might be the way to go.. and it's easy.

on a side note;
Freesco doesn't seem to have a DHCP client though.. how do you run it as a router if you don't have static IP?

RanDum72

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
Just get a hardware router/firewall like a Netgera RT314, D-link DI-704 or an SMC Barricade. Besdies being unobstrusive, they are also silent.