Question about ping and Ip Addresses

JoeFahey

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2005
Hi,
Well, in one of my classes, I was in my computer lab. While working on a project, a message pops up saying "hi". The one way conversation continues with many more messages. I eventually found out who did this, and the person said he was "pinging" the computers. I think you can do this if you obtain the computer IP Address. IS this true? And if I have the IP address, how do I "ping" someone? Can I ping someone else in my house who is on my network? THANKS!!

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
No. Ping is just a low level tool to test connectivity. Essentially you send an ICMP packet with a type code of 8 (echo) and some random payload and the remote machine sends the payload back with an ICMP type code of 0 (echo reply).

What he was doing is using a Windows tool to send messages. On NT you use the 'net send' command to send the message, on Win9X you need to run some extra tool since it's not running by default.

JoeFahey

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2005
Well, I looked this up on the web, and I found a place where it said I have to type, ping, and then the IP adress. Heres the link... http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid7_gci848513,00.html

The person who sent the message needed the IP address, so what did he do to send the message? What is this messaging tool you are talking about on Windows? COuld you please help me on how to message someone? I would mabye just like to be able to send messages to the other computer on my wireless network. Thanks again!

Lordicus

Aug 14, 2004
Haha
This reminds me of my old class. A classmate scripted the netsend to repeat and well the other person was frantic to stop the noise that interrupted the class. He wasnt too pleased afterwards :)

WPFossil

Feb 9, 2005
Nothinman was steering you on the right path.

If you want to see PING in action, just open up a command prompt and type PING LOCALHOST

You can PING a hostname or an IP address. Same with NET SEND (which is most likely what your classmate was using). If he knows your IP or your hostname, he can send you a message. If you want to stop receiving messages, go into Services and stop the Messenger. Although it's possible your admin might not allow you access to do that

JoeFahey

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2005
Ok, so I have the command prompt up, I entered net send, and all these things come up, like...acounts, users, time, and other things...I have Window XP pro by the way....so when Im in command prompt, what do I do to send to an IP address, or someone on my own network? Sorry Im a newbie, but could you explain in newbie terms? THANKS

ChineseGuy

Aug 20, 2004
Originally posted by: Lordicus
Haha
This reminds me of my old class. A classmate scripted the netsend to repeat and well the other person was frantic to stop the noise that interrupted the class. He wasnt too pleased afterwards :)

Ahaha...

1)Open up notepad
2) type this in

:start
netsend [insert IP address here] [insert creative message here]
pause
goto start

3) save file as netsend.bat
4) run file, press any key to send another 5 messages. Use control C to get out of loop :)

5) don't get caught

JoeFahey

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2005
Chineseguy, thanks a lot...but I know this may make me look even stupider, but when you say :start, do I type that in notepad? do I type pause? and when you say go to start, do you mean the start at the bottom left hand corner of the screen? Also, after I save the file as netsend.bat, how do I run the file? Do I even go into command prompt? andis this for WINDOWS XP PRO? SORRY for so many questions!!

also, when ever I hit net send or somthing close to that on the command promt, this comes up...
NET SEND
{name : * : /DOMAIN[:name] : /USERS} message
Whats does this mean?

JoeFahey

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2005
actually, I got it to work, and I ran the file...it repeats the my message of "hi", over and ver a gain super fast, I typed in my IP address where you told me to, so should this message be spammed on the other computers in my house?

ChineseGuy

Aug 20, 2004
it should not be used to spam others :)
but if you want to message the whole network you can use a wild card for ip address.. which is just *
soo for example.. it would be "net send * hello" That should send the message to the whole workgroup.
the ":start" is used as a label. So the batch file can refer back to it when you use a goto command.
the Pause command is used to pause the batch file .. duh.. so it doenst just keep looping, and you have to click lots of OK to close out all the little windows

Just so i don't get killed for this, here is how you can prevent your computer from getting spammed with this kind of attack. TURN OFF MESSENGER SERVICE :)
In windows XP, you go to run, then type services.msc then turn off messenger

JoeFahey

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2005
then how do I add people to the workgroup? But also, what If I just want to send to an IP address? Do I have to do what you said to do with the notepad chinese dude?

ChineseGuy

Aug 20, 2004
Wow...
you can use cmd>net view to see who is on your workgroup
you can also do net send then the computer name... but you can also use the IP address
and no, you don't HAVE to do what i told you to do in notepad. It's just a process of making a Batch file.
And you really shouldn't do this. You will get a lot of angry people .... especially when you use the wild card.
Learn how to use google.