Question about P4 O/C (Ram ratio)!

SpeedFreak03

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2003
I have a P4 2.6C, Artic Silver 5 (I removed the thermal pad from stock HS), Intel Stock Retail HSF, Asus P4P800 Deluxe, and 2 sticks of 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200 (the 1GB kit matched dual channel one). Anyway, I wanna hit 3.25GHz. But I have a few questions:

1. If I have a 250 CPU FSB (1000 quad pumped), and run the memory with a 5:4 divider, then the memory speed is 200MHz, correct?
2. Assuming I get this to work (and be stable), should I buy a new HSF (even if temps are good - I am using a enermax 5.25'' temp monitor/fan controller)?
3. What is the max voltage (for CPU) that I should use (to not hurt CPU life very much)?
4. Do you think I will need to touch the memory voltage if the memory isn't overclocked?

I think thats it. To test stability I will run Prime95, SuperPi (at 32Million) and Seti@home all at the same time for 48hours, then I will run memtest86 overnight (I know it sounds really stressfull, but I did this right after I built the computer and it still works fine).

-Josh

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
1) Yes that s correct 200mhz for 400mhz ddr

2) Try the retail first as I have seen others run it at that speed...Why waste the money if you don't need to.

3) I wouldn't go over 1.65v actual (not bios set but actual as some mobos undervolt like Abit and others overvolt like asus). The actual fsb you gain from going frmo 1.6v to 1.65v may only be like 2-3fsb so hardly worth the benefit. Instead the heat will be higher and in some instances diminishing results.

4) Really depends on the board, but in most instances as you overclock the system (vcore, etc) you need to bump most things up a notch. 2.7v is fine for all pc3200 available and 2.8-2.9v is fine for most pc3500 and greater ddr....

If I were you I would run vagp 1.6v and vdim 2.8v right out of the gate. When I found m stability point (cpu fsb limit) then I would start notching the vagp and vdimm back down and see if the stability remains...

Stability testing varies per ppls liking but as long as you run programs that will hold 100% cpu utilization while being sensitive enough to error out if errors occur.

My new regiment is 12 hours of 2x prime 95 then a 6hour TMPGenc encoding with SuperPI 32mb or 1x instance of prime95 running...I also like to run memtest overnight at my final ram tweaked settings...

SpeedFreak03

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2003
Duvie thanks for the quick response! It sucks that now I won't be home to mess wit it till the 26th (were going to my in-laws, grrrrr). So I get to use their beat down compaq... oh well I will mess with it when I get back. But I did some reading and actually I read a lot of the stuff u told me! So thanks again for all your help.

-Josh