Question about Networked Folders

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
I need some help about a small home office network. I have several networked computers but I need to create a folder on a computer that only one other computer would have access to. This shared folder should not be seen by any other of the networked computers.
Please help as I tried anything i could think of. Thank You in advance.

This OS is Windows XP Home, (if possible can you give step-by-step instructions.)

rw120555

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2001
I haven't tried it, but I think you want the hidden shared feature described here:

Windows XP Simple File Sharing

I beleive you'd need Windows XP pro for stronger control (the above has a link to XP Pro file sharing). Good luck.

rw120555

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2001
Hey, I'm glad you asked. I just tried the hidden share trick, and it works. It is very similar to putting a password on. It is not perfect security, because anybody who knows the name of the shared folder could get to it. But, if they don't even know that the folder exists, they'll have no reason to go looking for it, and if they do know that it exists, they'll have to know what it is called. So, as with all passwords, try not to call it anything too obvious. You could give it some weird share name and then, as the article suggests, map to it on your other machine. If that isn't enough security, consider switching to XP pro or using your software to put passwords on files.

For anyone who doesn't want to wade thru the articles, in brief, the procedure is:

* Select the folder to share. Right click, and select sharing.
* DO NOT use the evil XP wizard. Just do it yourself.
* Give the folder a 1-12 character Share Name that ends in a $, e.g. Topsecret$
* This folder won't show up when others browse the network. To access it, you'll need to type in its name.
* Probably the easiest thing to do is to map Topsecret$ to a Network drive and tell it to reconnect as needed. For further security, don't tell it to reconnect, instead just keep on manually remapping as needed.