Question about mounting an AIO water cooling radiator

ioni

Aug 3, 2009
I just got an AOI water cooling system and am trying to mount it to my case, but the directions make it look like I need to place the radiator on an inner wall in the case and screw it on my screwing a screw from the outside of the case, through the case wall and into the radiator. But since I don't have any holes that go all the way through the wall of my case, I'm wondering if it's ok to push the screws through the mesh/fins of the radiator. Would that cause any issues?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Yes.

Several ugly scenarios leap to my mind.

Indeed.

I'm trying to figure out what he's actually describing there.

Let me speculate -- several speculations like several "ugly scenarios."

Maybe he has a 280mm AiO and the case has vents and fittings for 120mm fans or a 240mm rad.

If the AiO is on the compatibility list for his particular case, then he shouldn't have the problem he describes. And if it isn't, perhaps he might have prepared with a ruler, a drill and bits -- possibly even a plan to cut some metal with a dremel or a nibbler.

But . . . that's why he's here. To solve his problem. OP -- what case? What AiO?

Something tells me you're a bit new to all of this . . .

ioni

Aug 3, 2009
The holes for my case fans don't go all the way through the side of my case. I was expecting to mount my radiator like screw, radiator, side panel. But it looks like it actually needs to be screw, side panel, radiator. The case is an NZXT rogue and the AIO is a Nepton 280L. I'm just going to borrow a drill and drill the fan holes so the go all the way through the side panel. The holes are pretty small, so I don't think they'll be that noticeable.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
The holes for my case fans don't go all the way through the side of my case. I was expecting to mount my radiator like screw, radiator, side panel. But it looks like it actually needs to be screw, side panel, radiator. The case is an NZXT rogue and the AIO is a Nepton 280L. I'm just going to borrow a drill and drill the fan holes so the go all the way through the side panel. The holes are pretty small, so I don't think they'll be that noticeable.

Ok. . . I see more or less what you're doing. As much as I'd like to build "smaller," I've never tried a case like that.

If you don't have a spring-loaded metal-punch, go down to the hardware store and buy one for about $5. Even if you mark your holes precisely with a pencil or felt-pen, the punch will mark the spot dead-center and leave an indentation so that the drill doesn't slip. I usually push down on the punch about 4 or 5 times, just to make sure the indentation is pronounced.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I'd hope you still are not going to try pushing screws through the rad fins.

Just putting holes where the screws should go would be the best idea.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I'd hope you still are not going to try pushing screws through the rad fins.

Just putting holes where the screws should go would be the best idea.

I do a lot of things with zip-ties, which I buy in multiple colors and sizes at an electronics-jobber's-warehouse across town. I don't hesitate to use them in pairs for each fan-hole to install fans using those little rubber donuts you can get at the same place as "shock-absorbers." Of course, I'd prefer always to use purchased rubber fan-mounts, but I've had situations (an NZXT 200mm fan that didn't fit the 200mm holes on a HAF sidepanel) where the zip ties came in handy.

But with a radiator you'd simply want to use the holes provided as-is in the radiator, and drill holes if they don't fit your case. And even with zip-ties, you could damage rad fins unless you did something similar with the little donuts or some type of washer . . . . .

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
That case isn't designed for radiators. Neither of the side panels are spaced properly for a 240mm radiator and even if they were, you bought a 280mm radiator. Even if you put new holes in the side panel for the screws, the openings for the fans wouldn't match up which would severely reduce your cooling capacity.

I would return the AIO and get a cooling system more suitable for your case. Either that or a new case.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Yea that case is from 2009 when AIOs were just really coming out, most cases didn't make accommodations for radiators at that time period except in the high end market segment.

ioni

Aug 3, 2009
Either that or a new case.

I'd get a new case if I could find another mATX as good as the rogue, but I haven't been able to find anything that compares.

The nepton supports 120mm fans as well, so the fan openings should be fine.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I'm wondering if it's ok to push the screws through the mesh/fins of the radiator. Would that cause any issues?

absolutely not...

nothing should go though the radiator period as you risk pincturing those thin pipes and leaking a sorry mess all over the place.

ioni

Aug 3, 2009
After a bit of case modding (had to drill the side holes all the way through and cut out part of an HDD bay) I finally got it installed. But man, it's way louder than I was expecting.

billbillw

Jul 17, 2003
After a bit of case modding (had to drill the side holes all the way through and cut out part of an HDD bay) I finally got it installed. But man, it's way louder than I was expecting.

The Jet-Flow fans with that Nepton are very loud when spinning at higher speeds. However, they are fairly quiet when at low speed. The Nepton has such amazing cooling capability, you don't need them spinning much above minimum speeds. Assuming you have the fans hooked directly to PWM CPU fan header, go into your BIOS and select a Quiet fan option if its available. If it has custom fan curves, make one that doesn't ramp up until the CPU hits 65c. I have the Nepton 140XL (same two fans) and it is fairly quiet unless I'm encoding video.

Also, it is recommended to hook the Pump to a full voltage fan header. Pump full speed, fans low speed. That will give you the best cooling/noise ratio.