Question about LSATs...

pookguy88

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2001
Ok, i've decided i'm going to try and get into a law school for my post-secondary degree... here's the thing, I'm in Canada and would like to goto a law school in California, more specifically, one that is easy to get into :D

I know i have to take LSATs but how do I prepare and when is the best time (if there is one) to write them? What kinda score am I looking to get thats decent? Right now, my undergrad degree is computer engineering and I thought a law degree would be a good mix, so thats why I've decided to take the LSATs. Any more info would be great, i got a few more questions off the top of my head:

-how long does it take to prepare for the LSATs?
-how much am i looking to shell out for this law degree? (considering i'll be coming from Canada)
-what're some good recommendations for decent So. Cal. law schools? (again, easy to get into is the key :))

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
-how much am i looking to shell out for this law degree? (considering i'll be coming from Canada)

If you have to ask it's going to be more than you can afford.

Seriously graduate degrees are seriously expensive unless you're going to be the next Robert Shapiro or something, since financial aid will mostly be based on merit..although I suppose there may be some cheap state schools out there.

And while a JD does still have good merit behind it, people with law degrees aren't really in high demand right now..especially if you got one from a school that's "easy to get into". Look to be in debt for quite a while after graduating if you choose to pursue it, and if you're really serious about it..more power to you.

But really, you seem a bit clueless about it all, do lots and lots of research before you get into something you won't be able to turn back from.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
people usually take it around this time of year so that they'll have their scores in time for early admissions in the fall

i studied maybe 25 hours or so. did pretty decent. most people probably study longer than that and spend more than $60 doing so (they take classes)

school can be as little as $15000 a year for tuition for "out of state" that i'm aware of.

what is your GPA?

DigDug

Mar 21, 2002
I say this with all honesty and experience. Unless you can get intot the top 15 law schools, are have the confidence enough to know that you'll be in the top 10% of the class at a lesser known school, don't go to law school. It's simply not worth the expenditure for the meager return.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: BlipBlop
I say this with all honesty and experience. Unless you can get intot the top 15 law schools, are have the confidence enough to know that you'll be in the top 10% of the class at a lesser known school, don't go to law school. It's simply not worth the expenditure for the meager return.

I disagree totally. Yes, you need to do good while you are there, but you don't have to go to one of the top 15 schools do have a good practice, or get hired by a good firm.

pookguy88

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2001
hmm, well, on a scale of 9, thats what our GPA system goes by, i'm like a 6.5, please, don't laugh

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I did crappy on the LSAT and go to a crappy school in CA, but I'm looking to have my own practice, so its not that big of a deal.

yellowperil

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2000
It doesn't take as much 'review' time for the LSAT as for the GRE or MCAT. That is, there's little fact-based knowledge you need to know (it's almost all reasoning). I took about 7-8 practice tests and did OK. Also it's a fairly weak predictor of how well you'll do in law school (<20% of the variance, I've read).

Sorry, I don't know much about schools in SoCal

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: pookguy88
hmm, well, on a scale of 9, thats what our GPA system goes by, i'm like a 6.5, please, don't laugh

9 point scale? wtf is that? i guess thats about a 2.7 or so? do well on the lsat (mid 160s) and you have a good shot at a top 50 law school.

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
-how long does it take to prepare for the LSATs?

depends how good of a score you want. take a diagnostic and see what you get. you want to get at least 160 for decent schools and try to get 170's to compensate for your GPA

a LOT. you go to a state school and you will pay out of state fees. all the other schools are private. i don't think ANY of the csu's have a law school, and UCLA, UCB - Boalt, UC Hastings (randomness... don't say there is no uc hastings... the university of california has two law schools in the bay area - one at boalt in berkeley, the other is hastings) and UCD are good schools where you'll need letters of rec, good explanations for your GPA, and good lsat scores, in addition to your essays.

-what're some good recommendations for decent So. Cal. law schools? (again, easy to get into is the key :))

well a lot of people go to southwestern... private SMALL school that i think takes a lot of people.

law school is NOT easy to get into and not something you should just "see if you can handle it." i don't know if i'd want a lawyer who want to law school "for the heck of it." so many people want to go to law school, so even decent schools will have some good students applying to it for a safety school.