Question about Leno...

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
i just realized in posting a response to an sealab 2021 thread...that leno gets better ratings that letterman.

why?
leno...good god!
he's terrible!

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Leno's monologue (writers) is much better than Letterman's.

But, if you've watched Dave from the get-go, there's still something about him and his show. Nowhere near as good as it used to be, though. But, would you see Leno's mom covering the Olympics? ;)

MrYogi

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: conjur

But, if you've watched Dave from the get-go, there's still something about him and his show. Nowhere near as good as it used to be, though. But, would you see Leno's mom covering the Olympics? ;)

I watch leno. he is much better than dave. Conan the barbarian is the BEST.

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001

i feel like leno's monologue is just too long.
letterman seems to make better, more current jokes.

conan, i like his musical guests but thats about as far as i take that.

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Letterman appeals to a younger crowd.

When potty humor ceases to be funny to you, you'll start to appreciate Leno more.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: PatboyX

i feel like leno's monologue is just too long.
letterman seems to make better, more current jokes.

conan, i like his musical guests but thats about as far as i take that.

Catch that week-long stint with The White Stripes? Wow...they are awesome!!

DanJ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Correction: Jack is awesome; Meg is there.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: DanJ

Oh, hell no! Meg is way cool with her attitude (hand on hip while drumming, holding the drumstick on her neck and giving 'that look').

tokamak

Golden Member
Nov 26, 1999
i also prefer Letterman. Leno is alright but Dave is 100% crazy. and i like that.

DanJ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Oh, hell no! Meg is way cool with her attitude (hand on hip while drumming, holding the drumstick on her neck and giving 'that look').
Looking cool does not make one awesome. It makes them there, looking their part. Jack has talent. Meg looks the part.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Looking cool does not make one awesome. It makes them there, looking their part. Jack has talent. Meg looks the part.

It's all about entertainment, is it not? She's part of the package...part of their visual appeal. Besides, I like the drumming.

MegaloManiaK

Golden Member
May 27, 2003
Anyone but me ever noticed that most people are either leno or letterman fans? I rarely meet people who like both of them, most hate one and love the other. I think leno's postmonolouge/preguest segments are much funnier than lettermans.

That and conan rocks.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
its been common knowledge fora while. mid 90's leno passed letterman in popularity. letterman seems to be getting old, he just kills time on his show. leno is generally pretty scripted, you know what your getting.

they both suck compared to conan:)

Dudd

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
Letterman is awful. His monologue is 30 seconds long, and then it's just him and his band leader bantering for the next 15 minutes, with a bunch of thrown together, awful bit pieces tossed into the mix. At least Leno is cracking jokes, albeit played out ones about Clinton and Monica. Haven't watched Conan more than a couple of times, so I really have no opinion of him. Of course, Triumph alone has vaulted him past Letterman.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I've never found Letterman to be even slightly funny, and something about the format of his show is just really drab to me. I find Leno's personality much more favorable.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
when leno cracks on kevin for being a pot smoker, that alone makes it worth it to watch. leno is simply more entertaining, but i guess it also depends a bit on location. west coasters are more likely to favor leno because its more relevant when he cracks a laker joke or something. i hardly watch letterman, but from the bits i see, his stuff involves the city of ny and such.

007bond

May 11, 2002
Originally posted by: notfred
Cause Leno has a kickass car collection.

Yes, yes he does. And while I don't think Leno is that funny, Letterman is usually just annoying to me and never funny.

Feb 10, 2000
I was a huge Letterman fan as a kid, but to me he has gotten stale. Leno used to be one of the funniest standups in the world (actually, his Letterman appearances in the mid '80s were GREAT), but his show is fundamentally way too tame for my liking. I don't routinely watch any of the late-night talk shows, but Conan is the funniest of them IMO.