Question about integrated video card memory.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
I do plan to get a better card....

However at the time being I am using the ATI HD 3200. In the bios the video memory is set on auto and can be set to various settings and 512mb is the highest setting.

Would setting it to 512mb be better than leaving it on auto?

I have 4 gigs of memory, running Windows 7.

Just wondering.....

Thanks.

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
It would probably make not much of a difference, hard to say unless you insist on benchmarking every game you play. But given you have a surplus of RAM, I agree with Happy Medium and just leave it at max and call it good.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Well I figure auto can be good, but if the game needs more video ram and it has to increase the video memory size. Wouldn't that bog down the game?

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Well I figure auto can be good, but if the game needs more video ram and it has to increase the video memory size. Wouldn't that bog down the game?
So you don't even have to worry about that, leave it at max (512MB), not auto.

But as for bogging down the game when it tries to increase video memory size when left as "auto"... can't say, don't really know, somebody else might be able to tell you.

BernardP

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2006
It's likely that AUTO uses the amount of memory that is needed, up to a maximum of 512 MB. Selecting 512 MB probably pre-allocates 512 MB to the video memory.

With the HD3200 core, there seems to be very little risk of 512 MB being insufficient.

I don't think there will be much performance difference between AUTO, 256 MB or 512 MB