question about hooking up pc to a mac

cpmer

Jan 22, 2005
I wanted to install a video game that on my pc but its a dvd game and my pc doesnt have a dvd player. But i have mac notebook with a dvd drive in it. Is there a way to hook up the two using a usb cable or ethernet cable. I dont have a router so it would be direct connect so i could put the game in the mac and try installling it into my pc?

sdy284

Apr 11, 2006
umm...not that i know of, you could do this though

make an ISO of the DVD on your mac, transfer that ISO to your PC.

Then download alcohol 52% http://trial.alcohol-soft.com/en/

Using Alcohol, just mount the iso on a virtual drive & install the game

Sforsyth

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2005
What game is it? that might not work depending on the copy protection. I'd say go buy a DVD Burner or a Used DVD-rom. It's 2006 your pc should have one and they are dirt cheap.

sdy284

Apr 11, 2006
or you could just download the game on your PC and use your CD key instead of the patch or CD key that you would get from the downloaded game

dbravo223

Aug 2, 2006
Originally posted by: sdy284
or you could just download the game on your PC and use your CD key instead of the patch or CD key that you would get from the downloaded game

This will probably be the easiest thing to do. Because if the game is not supported by mac your mac will not recognize the game files. Also it won't be good to enter the CD if it's not compatible with mac. It could mess up your mac. Trust me it happen to me. Had to reset my mac settings.

sdy284

Apr 11, 2006
Originally posted by: dbravo223

This will probably be the easiest thing to do. Because if the game is not supported by mac your mac will not recognize the game files. Also it won't be good to enter the CD if it's not compatible with mac. It could mess up your mac. Trust me it happen to me. Had to reset my mac settings.

i never said anything about downloading it on a mac....

cpmer

Jan 22, 2005
can u create a network just direct hooking pc to mac with ethernet cable. Theres no router

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Hrm...after using macs for over 10 years and using PC CDs and DVDs in my Macs and being able to see the files (not use them or open them) I think you're wrong.

Sforsyth

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2005
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd

Hrm...after using macs for over 10 years and using PC CDs and DVDs in my Macs and being able to see the files (not use them or open them) I think you're wrong.

NERD FIGHT ! DING DING DING

halfadder

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2004
You could share the contents of the DVD, yes. However this may be lacking any sort of copy protection the game might be looking for. But it is worth a try.

Connect the two computers with an ethernet cable. Modern Mac laptops will automatically do the crossover for you.
AppleMenu->SystemPreferences->Network..... set an IP address (say, 192.168.1.50) for the Ethernet interface
AppleMenu->SystemPreferences->Sharing...... click "Windows Sharing"
On the PC side of things, set an IP address for the PC's ethernet interface (say, 192.168.1.51)
Login to the Mac using the Mac's IP address and whatever username/password your account on the Mac might have

If copy/install performance is slow, you might have to manually enable gigabit ethernet and jumbo frames on both machines.