secretagent

Sep 16, 2015
*Insert heartwarming backstory about old Inspiron 15 here*

Screen is cracked and won't turn on, I've been using an HDMI cable to view everything on my TV ever since it broke. I want to hard reset it to get some oomph back into it, but I'm worried I won't be able to complete the setup process due to the HDMI cable not outputting the process onto my TV screen. Should this be a concern? Will I be able to complete the setup process? Any and all help is appreciated. Cheers.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
If you can see everthing through your TV now (POST screen, Windows Load screen) without intervention, you should be fine.

secretagent

Sep 16, 2015
If you can see everthing through your TV now (POST screen, Windows Load screen) without intervention, you should be fine.

I would've gone through with it already if this were the case. I can only see the Windows 10 loading circle, then the login screen etc, but no boot up screen (with instructions on how to go to BIOS etc.)
I guess thats what you meant by post screen? In that case no, no post screen is displayed.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Post screen is the B&W display from BIOS prior to the start of Windows loading.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I would've gone through with it already if this were the case. I can only see the Windows 10 loading circle, then the login screen etc, but no boot up screen (with instructions on how to go to BIOS etc.)
I guess thats what you meant by post screen? In that case no, no post screen is displayed.
Ok. That could mean that it needs to load the Windows driver, which happens during the Windows load, for that to output. A reset started from within Windows would be your best shot. You could try from a usb stick, but you may have a blank display.