Question about hard drives

Broncho

Jan 3, 2002
I'm buying a new hard drive but I'm unsure about some of their reliability. I've heard of the problems with IBM 75GXP and some people having trouble with the 60GXP, which I was thinking about getting. I've also heard good things about Wester Digital and Seagate. I realie that it is easy to just get a bad drive, so I'm looking for a more than one time experience. Are these good hard drives, or do I need ot look elsewhere? Thanks for the help.

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000
The 75gxp's had a lot of problems , as you noted

IBM basically fixed the problem with the introduction of the 60gxp. but , like any other hard drive, there are rare defects

The 60Gxp is a super fast drive that is just as reliable as any WD or Seagate or whatever...i would definitely stick with getting it

ojai00

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
Seagates are pretty good drives. I have one and I love it because it's super quiet. Others will suggest Western Digital and Maxtor, which are both good drives. Some have had problems with Western Digitals and Maxtors, but all hard drives are bound to have problems. I'd suggest Seagate, but it's really up to you. With this kind of question, you'll always get varied opinions. Hope this helps.

Broncho

Jan 3, 2002
Thanks for the info guys. :)

You both answered the question the way I was expecting. Now its just buy it and see if I get a good one or a bad one.