question about h100

Grey!matter

Feb 5, 2011
So yesterday i bought a h100, installed it, and im having a little bit of trouble. The rpm on the fans does not increase, idle or during prime95. When i first start my pc both of the h100 fans run at 100% and then lower in rpm until im in windows.

I understand that there are some issues with these units and you can rma them, but you have to pay for shipping and im in Canada.

if I understand correctly the 3 pin that comes from the pump that you connect the the cpu fan header only is an rpm monitor and suppresses the bios beeps from a cpu fan not being connected? The molex that comes from that wire as well supplies the power?

I want to be able to control the to fans on the h100 so can I get a y splitter, specifically this http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=8_128&item_id=047494 would i be able to put both h100 fans on this and plug this to a 3 pin fan header on my mobo so i can control the fan speed via the asus fan xpert in windows?

thanks a lot

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yes the 3 pin is just to report RPM to the motherboard to avoid any warnings, the power is all through the molex.

Does the fan RPM change when you press the button on the pump? There is 3 speed settings. If this doesnt work then the fan controller is dead...somewhat of a common problem from what I hear.

Your PWM fans should work but the H80 and H100 (same pump) are finicky with power. For a lot of people, not having fans plugged into the pump creates extra pump noise. It's an annoying buzz/rattle. You can test this yourself by running the fans on the motherboard instead of the pump and see what happens. Yours may be totally fine!

btw a lot of people think that noise is caused by air trapped in the system, it's not. It's totally a power issue. if you have that issue can run the pump at like 11.8 or 11.9v instead of what your PSU is putting out (usually like 12.2v) the problem vanishes in most cases. People have used fan controllers or in-line voltage reducers to accomplish this. Apparently new batches aren't as sensitive to this though.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Are you using the stock fans with the heatsink? I was some gentle typhoons and the fan speed would not change. They only had 2 wires. The third wire on the stock fan allows the fan controller on the H100 to change the fan speeds.

Grey!matter

Feb 5, 2011
Yes the 3 pin is just to report RPM to the motherboard to avoid any warnings, the power is all through the molex.

Does the fan RPM change when you press the button on the pump? There is 3 speed settings. If this doesnt work then the fan controller is dead...somewhat of a common problem from what I hear.

Your PWM fans should work but the H80 and H100 (same pump) are finicky with power. For a lot of people, not having fans plugged into the pump creates extra pump noise. It's an annoying buzz/rattle. You can test this yourself by running the fans on the motherboard instead of the pump and see what happens. Yours may be totally fine!

btw a lot of people think that noise is caused by air trapped in the system, it's not. It's totally a power issue. if you have that issue can run the pump at like 11.8 or 11.9v instead of what your PSU is putting out (usually like 12.2v) the problem vanishes in most cases. People have used fan controllers or in-line voltage reducers to accomplish this. Apparently new batches aren't as sensitive to this though.

Im pretty sure they do not increase in rpm when I press the button and I also have the dreaded pump grind noise that everyone seems to have. I would rma it but that's gonna cost a bit. I cant really hear the the pump noise with my headphones on so that doesn't really bother me, unless it dangerous for the component.

Like i said, Im probably just gonna get a y splinter for 6 bucks and put both fans on one chassis fan header and control them with the asus fan xpert. the alternative to that is to get noctua fans or something of the like with a y splitter that comes with the fans and plu those into the cpu fan header.

Last edited:

JCGhz

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2004
I checked mine after seeing this post.. i dont think mine has worked properly from day one.. i also noticed the molex connector is a little flakey when touched the light on the pump goes out and fan speed goes up.. very odd.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
If the fans go to full speed when you power up its fine. The H100 will only really manage the fans if you are using 4 pin fans. Otherwise its the static 3 power settings from the button and I am pretty sure not even max hits 100% will allow them to hit 100% fan speed.