Question About GW2

Crectric

May 28, 2013
Can I run Guild Wars 2, or is ram too big of an issue? Any help would be appreciated.

88dafe5e41964dfcb44f1c370fc83530

Last edited:

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
1GB of ram? Can you run anything besides solitaire/minesweeper with that nowadays?
Also your video card, the game would probably not even launch due to that.

Clinkster

Aug 5, 2009
1GB of ram? Can you run anything besides solitaire/minesweeper with that nowadays?
Also your video card, the game would probably not even launch due to that.

I agree, the video card is just as big a problem.

You will not be able to play with that machine. Sorry.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well, if you are really on a budget, you can probably get by with just upgrading that ancient video card and get some extra RAM. You can get 4GB of DDR2 for $70 (pretty expensive compared to what you can get with the current DDR3 RAM prices, but cheaper than new motherboard+processor+ram). Then just get new graphics card that you can fit in your remaining budget. You should be able to get a decent card if you can spend ~$150 (like an Nvidia 650 TI 2gb card, or AMD 7770 2GB card... personally I prefer the Nvidia due to their much superior driver support). You might have to worry about your power supply upgrading to a powerful graphics card though. Most people will recommend a 400W power supply for either of the cards I listed.

But it is true that your system is pretty long in the tooth. It just depends on if you have the budget to properly upgrade at this time or not. A new motherboard+CPU+RAM is gonna be in the $400-600 range depending on what you get, and will almost certainly require a new power supply (another $80-100), and then the video card as well.

Last edited:

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
Depends on how much you're willing to put towards an upgrade and how much you care about the game. From having played it a decent amount, the game is an awesome adventure up to 80 but then just doesn't feel like an MMO. It's got great story, but it feels and plays out like a single player game with an MMO element added on to it. They've been adding new content quite frequently since I stopped playing but nothing to change the core fact that once you're 80 there's not a whole lot to do aside from farm out some shinier gear.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Don't want to bust your bubble but a new PC would be your best bet especially if you want to enjoy "new" or recent games with resonable performances.

A nice gaming box (everything except monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers and maybe the case) would cost you anywhere from 400 to 800 depending on your screen resolution and what you can keep from your current PC.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
you are on Anand tech.. hit the for sale forum.. excellent prices on tech there. I have built at least 20 computers using parts I bought on forums.. and the prices have been great.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I must say one bad thing about GW2, they somehow win the spam war in my inbox.. "your account is under review" not even the good old WoW days did i get this much spam..

guess its my fault for using same user name everywhere.