Question about extracting data in Excel

Maggotry

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2001
I have a block of data captured in another piece of software that I need to import into Excel. This other software uses a proprietary file type so I had to convert the data to ASCII first. The data block has 3750 points. I need to graph it, but Excel graphs max at 255 points.

The question is, how can I extract 255 points from this huge block of data so I can graph it? Since the data is 3750 points, if I could extract every 14th data point, that would be great. I can't figure out how to do that though.

Anyone know?

AtlantaBob

Golden Member
Jun 16, 2004
Maggotry,

Any chance you can use Excel 2003? It doesn't seem to have that limitation. (I've got a graph here with about 950 data points in one series alone...).

Otherwise, (and this is very hackish, but I'm late for lunch): autonumber the list that you have (e.g. start with one and go fill, step)... then write a function that says (if the number is divisible by 14, then output "X" otherwise "" -- iif is the command that you're looking for here). Use fill to copy that function down the entire length of data as well. Then sort the data, based if it has X's or not. That should give you your every 14th data point...

Maggotry

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2001
I don't what I did wrong last time. I just tried it again based on your experience with a 950 point chart. I t worked fine. I obviously did something boneheaded the first time.