question about cpu and gaming

elkido122

Jan 10, 2015
i am curious if theres a program or maybe just a way that will tell me how many cores/ threads a certain games might be using while im playing it. i dont know it its possible but if it is im not to sure of they way. thanks for any advice guys. noob question i guess.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
use any one of a number of program from windows task manager to CPUz to see how much your CPU is being used while gaming. I keep a bunch of programs open on my second monitor while i game to monitor my CPU and GPU vitals.

otinane

Oct 13, 2016
Depending on which graphics engine the game was built, you can check how many cores it utilizes if you search at the files and folders of the game you have installed at your system.

For example Tera, based on UE3, at the installation folder has a file named S1Engine.ini. You can use a notepad to open it and tweak it and see how many cores can utilize.

Attention: Before any tweak, back up the file, after your tweaks (for example if it uses only 1 core, you can change it to 4, if you have a quad core CPU or even add a line like "CPUNumLogicalProcessors=4" at the very end of the S1Engine.ini) change the file properties to "Read Only" so the client during the lunching of the game doesn't revert back the settings.

The above is a general guide, and you can always use Google, for a specific game of your interest.

Most games though, i have the suspicion utilize 1-2 cores.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Depending on which graphics engine the game was built, you can check how many cores it utilizes if you search at the files and folders of the game you have installed at your system.

For example Tera, based on UE3, at the installation folder has a file named S1Engine.ini. You can use a notepad to open it and tweak it and see how many cores can utilize.

Attention: Before any tweak, back up the file, after your tweaks (for example if it uses only 1 core, you can change it to 4, if you have a quad core CPU or even add a line like "CPUNumLogicalProcessors=4" at the very end of the S1Engine.ini) change the file properties to "Read Only" so the client during the lunching of the game doesn't revert back the settings.

The above is a general guide, and you can always use Google, for a specific game of your interest.

Most games though, i have the suspicion utilize 1-2 cores.

This has been what i noticed as well, most use 1-2, and most load up one alot and use the other alot less like less than %20 useage on the extra cores. Which makes me believe single core performance is still king when it comes to gaming. At least untill Dx12 gains more traction.