Question about consumer POE switches

pcm81

Mar 11, 2011
I have finally got around to working on my house network wiring. Builder ran cat5e but put RJ11 terminations on it, so i am converting to RJ45. I want to add a POE switch in my garage (which is where all cables come together).

I have a cisco RV325 router in my office, which will connect to one of the cables on this network via one of its LAN ports. The goal is to have the switch in the garage to basically act as a port multiplier for the router in my office.

My question is this: If at some later date i need to add another switch in one of the other rooms, so now my infrastructure would look like this:
Router --- POE Switch in garage ----Non-POE Switch in room --clients

Do i need to be careful which switch i buy to put into the garage to make sure it can remember the MAC addresses of more than 1 client connected to "Switch in room"? I am considering: "NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch with 4-Port PoE (GS308P-100NAS)" for garage.

Thanks ahead

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Do i need to be careful which switch i buy to put into the garage to make sure it can remember the MAC addresses of more than 1 client connected to "Switch in room"?

No. You need to be careful how you run the cabling. PoE cables from the GS308P-100NAS should only go to PoE devices. Dont plug those into another switch in the room.

pcm81

Mar 11, 2011
After a little more googling, looks like there is the POE for 568A and different pinout for 568B. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet
I am terminating my existing cat5e cables as 568B at the garage end and rooms. Do i just need to make sure that devices and switch both are compatible with 568B code, this way injector and receiver have P+ on 1,2 and P- on 3 and 6? Any other gotchas?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yes, pick one of the standards and stick to it...everything you're doing should use straight through cabling. You rarely need a crossover anymore, and if you do just pick up a crossover patch cable for 10 bucks.