• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question about classful and classless IP

Jaimee3point14

Jul 12, 2017
Hey all,

I am taking a networking course and am a little confused about something that is unclear in the course. Can both private and public IPs be classful and classless? or just public IP's?

Jaimee3point14

Jul 12, 2017
Hey I read through the thread that you posted and it still doesn't seem that I have a clear answer on this. The article doesn't mention how public and private IP address may relate to being classful and classless. I get what being classful and classless means. I don't get if it relates at all to public and private IP addresses. I guess I cant see a reason why the system would be in place for a Private IP. But like I said I am pretty new at this and am just not sure. I want to know if Private IPs use either the classful, classless system, and if they do for what purpose? I mostly understand why this system is/was needed with public IP address' but I just can comprehend why it would be needed for private IP's, but my course is suggesting that both use the classless and classful system, so I am just confused.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Routing can be configured for classful and classless, which doesn't care if they are public or private.

ASK THE COMMUNITY