Question about car warranty....

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I seriously don't think he is trying to scam you. I can't believe you care that much about having a free oil/filter change that you spend so much time researching it. Your spent time has already exceeded the value of the free oil change/filter.

Murpheeee

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2000
I know some cars include oil changes free......but they are usually "luxury" models like Mercedes

I would not think it would be included on Honda - certainly is not on Mazda or Subaru

EDIT: BTW I agree with Millenium - oil & filter change is about $20. Ask for some free floor mats too ;)

txgixer

Jun 12, 2002
The last Honda Accord I bought came with (5) free oil changes.

The other three Honda's I purchased in the past came with Zero free oil changes. I think it depends on the dealership.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
warranties usually dont cover this, unless it is a lease. Dealerships can throw it in as an extra, though.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Free oil changes are sort of icing on the cake, or a way of making you feel better. Dealer/Saleman: "Hey, I just raped you for $18,000, but it's a good deal because we're throwing in a $15 oil change!".

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Are you confusing thrown in freebee oil changes with a maintanence free warranty? Many luxury brands (Audi, BMW, Mercedes, ect) throw in maintanence free warranties over the life of the car. You don't pay to do anything to your car short of tires, and MAYBE break pads. Everything else is included - oil changes, tire rotations, scheduled part replacements, ect.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: fyleow
I am looking to buy a Honda Accord LX with automatic transmission. A dealer quoted me 15,788 so I asked another dealer if he could beat that price. The guy obviously doesn't believe me because he asks for the price in writing or in email. Well, he said that if I did produce it they would match the price and give the first oil and filter change for free. Now....I thought that manufacturer warranty already covers that? My dad said that the first oil and filter change is free anyway no matter what the dealer. Is that true? This guy trying to scam me?

What kind of warranty does Honda provide? All I found on the net was 3 year/36,000 miles but what does that provide? Bumper to bumper? What does that mean anyway. Basically I want to know exactly what it covers and what it does not.

Thanks.

Most manufacturers don't cover oil changes in the warranty. My parents have bought 3 new Hondas over the past year and they were not given a single free oil change.

Nor does it matter, my father hates waiting 30 minutes to an hour for a job he can do in ten minutes.

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Most warranties don't cover anything that needs regular replacing, like wiper blades, oil, tires, or brake pads. That is pretty standard.

Other parts, like the transmission, water pump, or alternator, may wear out but are not expected to. So they are usually covered in a "bumper to bumper" warranty.

Surprisingly, most "bumper to bumper" warranties do not cover interior trim, seat leather, etc. For some reason, they are often left off the warranty as "non-mechanical" parts.

Lastly, make SURE that you are getting a reputable warranty if you decide to get something extended (usually anything past 3 yrs/36,000 miles). Just because you buy a warranty at the dealership does NOT mean it's a factory warranty - I got burned on this by a GM dealership once. You don't want a 3rd party warranty, unless you are very familiar with it and are sure that it is legitimate.