question about (bad) checks and paying rent

bigalt

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2000
So, i'm a pack rat-- i never throw anything away.

This bit me in the bum a few days ago when I couldn't find my normal checkbook, so I grabbed a spare which turned out to be old, from another city, a closed account, to pay my rent.

Of course the check bounced. I got it back, and immediately dropped a good check off at the manager's office. They won't take it because of the policy of not re-depositing returned checks.

Is it a) legal in general not to take checks or b) legal to not take the check because I bounced one?

It's such a pain to go get a money order, since there's no way I can make it to a bank for a few days as things are way hectic at work, and I'd have to wait until at least a few days of drawing my maximum cash out of the atm. It makes no sense to me that they wouldn't take a new check, since it was obviously a mistake and also I'm assuming they're willing to take a check for next month's rent which is one week away.

Why should they possibly get stuck with TWO returned check fees? I think it might be a crime to pass a bad check in Michigan over $500.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
They won't take it because of the policy of not re-depositing returned checks.
Different account and check, ask them if they want to give you the month for free or take the check. That's silly. Does your lease clause say this? If it doesn't tell them to eat it raw.
Why should they possibly get stuck with TWO returned check fees?
He should be offering to pay the first fee.

bigalt

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2000
i'm certainly stuck with the first fee, I'm just kind of miffed that they wouldn't even try to take the second check, when it's university owned housing and it was such an obvious mistake, plus it's impossible to get ahold of the management on the phone.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I had this happen once. Was living in two different cities with two different checking accounts. One account was basically empty in one city and comfortably full in the other. In an error I wrote the final rent payment on the sucked dry account and bounced the check. Doh!

What I did was take cash to my bank and had them cut a certified (pre-paid) check and delivered it in hand telling them that it's prepaid. I also included extra for the bounced amount.

The landlords thanked me and it was all good since they understood the situation.

Of course it's a mistake - if you're living in the apartment complex, you wouldn't ever pass a bad check willingly if you wanted to continue to have a place to live. The point is, bouncing a check is an incredible inconvenience for everyone involved, and frankly I'm surprised that you weren't alert enough to realize that you were writing in a checkbook with different checks and a different address than you normally use.

bigalt

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2000
and frankly I'm surprised that you weren't alert enough

haha, that's because you dont' know me.

anyway i had one of my roommates write a check, the only part of which they could possibly refuse coming from him being the 25 dollars that may or may not be charged to me personally (the late fee is already added).

this will of course be accompanied by a friendly letter, whether deserved or not.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: bigalt

This bit me in the bum a few days ago when I couldn't find my normal checkbook, so I grabbed a spare which turned out to be old, from another city, a closed account, to pay my rent.

Of course the check bounced. I got it back, and immediately dropped a good check off at the manager's office. They won't take it because of the policy of not re-depositing returned checks.

Is it a) legal in general not to take checks or b) legal to not take the check because I bounced one?

It's such a pain to go get a money order, since there's no way I can make it to a bank for a few days as things are way hectic at work, and I'd have to wait until at least a few days of drawing my maximum cash out of the atm. It makes no sense to me that they wouldn't take a new check, since it was obviously a mistake and also I'm assuming they're willing to take a check for next month's rent which is one week away.

why would it be against the law to NOT take a check? especially when you already bounced one? I don't blame them on NOT taking a different one. they have that right. they don't have to take the chance on getting hit twice on it.

yeah its a pain to get a MO. but its also a pain to get checks that bounce. Go in and pay the fees and tell them what happened. they may overlook it once. but if you have bounced checks with them before they may not take a check from you again. they do have that right.

how could you not notice that you were writing a check from a different bank and address?

MillionaireNextDoor

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: bigalt

why would it be against the law to NOT take a check? especially when you already bounced one? I don't blame them on NOT taking a different one. they have that right. they don't have to take the chance on getting hit twice on it.

yeah its a pain to get a MO. but its also a pain to get checks that bounce. Go in and pay the fees and tell them what happened. they may overlook it once. but if you have bounced checks with them before they may not take a check from you again. they do have that right.

how could you not notice that you were writing a check from a different bank and address?

What he said. Saves me time to write it all out.

-MiND

bigalt

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2000
yeah i guess it would be silly if there was a law saying you had to take checks. but does that mean our landlord could just declare one day that everyone had to pay in money orders or cashier's checks? that would suck!

and do you people read your checks every time you write one? I mean, they all look basically the same, and they both had my name on them. it's not a mistake I'll make again, but you can't seriously not believe it can happen, and pretty easily.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
They'd better take your next check for next month I hope. I'd move if they didn't. M.O. ARE a pain in the ass.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: PingSpike
They'd better take your next check for next month I hope. I'd move if they didn't. M.O. ARE a pain in the ass.

yeah thats a good idea. that way he can get sued for the lease. i think moving out and getting sued would be more of a pain then getting MO.

and do you people read your checks every time you write one? I mean, they all look basically the same, and they both had my name on them. it's not a mistake I'll make again, but you can't seriously not believe it can happen, and pretty easily

nope i never did that. though i have bounced a check. i have never got a old checking account confused with my new one.