Question about AA w/ high resolutions.

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
I don't know much about all the graphics mumbo jumbo so forgive me if this is a silly question.

I've seen it mentioned on many forums. Why is AA less important / irrelevant at high resolutions like 1920x1200?

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: IsLNdbOi
I don't know much about all the graphics mumbo jumbo so forgive me if this is a silly question.

I've seen it mentioned on many forums. Why is AA less important / irrelevant at high resolutions like 1920x1200?

I run 1920 and still feel AA is something to use. The higher resolutions will help with the jaggies but they will never make them go away. Maybe someone can explain it in better terms but pretty much you are making the pixels smaller thus helping games etc look better without having to use a ton of AA. I have tried 4x to 16xQ with my card and pretty much they have looked the same, so IMHO its more dependant on the game. I currently run 4x and play COD4 and Tabula Rasa smooth as silk.

40sTheme

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2006
More pixels = more places to address color = less jagged edges.
I think that's right. Wait till BFG10K gets here; he'll give you a 3 word answer that explains as much as a paragraph. :p

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
The reasoning is that higher resolutions provide more pixels and hence increase pixel density so the final interpolation of the 3D image is better.

Of course AA is always required since to get a truly jagged-free image would require raising the resolution far in excess of what is available in consumer space.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Originally posted by: IsLNdbOi

It's not... smaller pixel pitch is what really matters. The 20'' monitors with 1600x1200 and 1680x1050 have the smallest pixel pitch in the common 19''-24'' monitor range.

But a larger screen, you can sit further back, and jaggies should become less noticeable.

At least someone correct me if I'm wrong because I've always believed that so many people were deluded that a higher resolution meant less AA was needed, when higher resolution was really required just to keep the image sharp on larger screens.