Question about a ticket...

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
so to make a long story short... last night my friend was being designated driver, stopped at a gas station, off-duty cop saw people in the car drunk and called nearby cops, cops saw a bottle in the backseat (had vodka in it) so now my friend got a ticket for "allowing an open container of vodka" and one of the passengers got a ticket for the same thing. I think it sucks that she got a ticket essentially for being a DD, my questions are

1) is this an expensive ticket?
2) would she have any grounds to contest this ticket?
3) the car is not insured under her name, but her brothers...would he be notified of the ticket?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
She didn't get a ticket for being a DD, she got a ticket for not knowing that you can't drive around with an open alcohol container in your car. I doubt she could contest it. If she gets points with the ticket, her brother will probably find out eventually.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
I don't think she can contest, but she could always go to court, tell the judge the situation, and hope for a reduced fine. Seeing as how it wasn't any sort of accident or moving violation, I don't THINK her brother would find out about the ticket (since it's under her name). I've been pulled over for speeding while driving friends' cars before, and they never saw any notice about the incident other than when they were in the car with me. Then again, I could be wrong.

She got the ticket for you fools having an open bottle in the car.

Finish it before you travel, pussies.

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: mugsywwiii
She didn't get a ticket for being a DD, she got a ticket for not knowing that you can't drive around with an open alcohol container in your car. I doubt she could contest it. If she gets points with the ticket, her brother will probably find out eventually.

by open do they mean with like the lid off, or just not sealed?

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: AUMM

Not sealed. It sucks a lot if you have a wagon or van.

In most states a non sealed container can be considered open.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Not sealed.

edit: Looks like $189 fine. Text

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Anybody who's old enough to drink should know about open container laws, it's not like they pulled some obscure law out of their ass & smacked her with it.

Was she aware the bottle was there?

Viper GTS

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: kami333

Not sealed. It sucks a lot if you have a wagon or van.

As long as it's out of reach it should be OK.

Bag it, toss it in the back.

Viper GTS

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Anybody who's old enough to drink should know about open container laws, it's not like they pulled some obscure law out of their ass & smacked her with it.

Viper GTS

naw, she didnt know the bottle was there

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Viper GTS

naw, she didnt know the bottle was there

Too bad get better friends. Ignorance doesn't play well as an excuse in the courts. I'd suck it up and pay it. Hiring a lawyer here would be foolish because this is a non-moving violation and doesn't appear to be a misdemeanor or anything.

1. Depends on your state. Probably less than 200 bucks though. Most open container tickets are cheap. Friend got one in Panama City that was 39 bucks.
2. She could try, but No.
3. Very doubtful. They are going by her license and not his registration... well at least they should be.

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001

Viper GTS

also, she's not old enought to drink, i wasnt in the car but if i was ide have thrown it out for sure. one of the guys was just wasted and grabbed a bottle on the way out. she's most likely gonna just pay it (the guys she was driving said theyd pay the ticket) but i was just wondering if she could do anything

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
The open container law in Louisiana only applies to the driver. Heck, we have drive-thru daquiri shacks.