Question abot Letters from Iwo Jima

tboo

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2000
At the end of the movie, who was the Japanese soldier, found in the cave sleeping, by the Americans?

tboo

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2000
Originally posted by: FoBoT
the main guy, Saigo

Saigo was found with a shovel near the beach after burying the General. The guy Im talking about was woken up with flashlights shining on his face(it was a short scene). Was it the officer who went out, with explosives attached to his body, looking to blow up an American tank?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: FoBoT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letters_from_Iwo_Jima#Plot

i guess it has been a while since i saw it

maybe it is Shimizu, the plot outline doesn't mention the cave, i can't remember

nope, Shimizu was shot by the Americans when he deserted the cave. The Americans captured him, and one of the guards shot all the POWs.

I think that guy is Lieutenant Colonel Baron Takeichi Nishi, the Olympic gold medalist show horse jumper. he was blinded by a mortar, and we hear a gunshot in the cave as his men was retreating on his orders.

i guess he survived his suicide attempt

edit:
wait.. he was that lieutenant that tried to behead Saigo, but Nishi stopped him. the lieutenant left the cave and tried to suicide himself by blowing up a tank.

he couldnt find a tank, or anyone else for that matter. i guess he just wondered around till he ended up in the cave