Query on SLI

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Hello all,

I am sitting on an AMD X2 6000+, 4Gb RAM, a single 8800GT and craving a little more performance. At the moment, I am playing AoC and I am unsure as to whether that is SLI-enabled. I have looked at a quad Phenom and looked at an extra 8800GT, both can be obtained for roughly the same price.

I am tempted to say that in most cases for gaming, the second graphics card would be most beneficial and as my PC is hooked up to a 1080i HDTV, the extra power would be well used.

If he's willing, I can swap my board with my dads SLI board (he'll never use SLI) and buy an extra 8800GT to fit in there, using two cards and powering away.

Is SLI my best option here? Would Quadcore benefit me? Is there one single card obtainable which completely wipes the floor with an 8800GT and is at a highly cost effective price?

With the options selected, AoC looks cool (DX9) and I'm hovering between 40-100 FPS generally whenever I watch. I am intending to be there for DX10 and looking for a bit more DX10-proofness without spending a lot of money. From my past looks at SLI as a technology, its support was lacking and was in general a buggy mess. One of the things I am looking at here is how it has progressed and how well integrated it is into the gaming scene, whether it is a viable technology for use nowadays.

I am based in the UK and therefore direct price quotes are very difficult to make.

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com
Yes, SLI is your best option. The latest driver sets have made SLI a more viable option indeed. You won't see benefit from a quad core for gaming yet. Which board does your dad have, though? Some "SLI" boards only have PCI-E 8x on the 2nd slot.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: angry hampster
Yes, SLI is your best option. The latest driver sets have made SLI a more viable option indeed. You won't see benefit from a quad core for gaming yet. Which board does your dad have, though? Some "SLI" boards only have PCI-E 8x on the 2nd slot.

Id have to look into it but would an 8x slot make much if any difference? Can the power of an 8800GT fill the bandwith offered by PCI-E 8x?

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com
Originally posted by: Elcs
Originally posted by: angry hampster

Id have to look into it but would an 8x slot make much if any difference? Can the power of an 8800GT fill the bandwith offered by PCI-E 8x?

IIRC, an 8800GT pretty much fills an 8x board. YOu'd still see a drastic performance increase, but not as much as with a dual 16x.