Queen Elizabeth II has died at 96

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
So.... is she finally buried? Is it over? Can I turn on the TV again? So.... someone unbelievably rich with ugly ass dogs has died. So what. She wouldn't allow anyone to even touch her. To touch her was an unforgiven sin, of sorts. Sounds like the perfect mother to me. Mommy, can I hug you? Charles, go to your room. GUARD!!!!! GUARD!!!!!

Reactions: Lezunto

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
So.... is she finally buried? Is it over? Can I turn on the TV again? So.... someone unbelievably rich with ugly ass dogs has died. So what. She wouldn't allow anyone to even touch her. To touch her was an unforgiven sin, of sorts. Sounds like the perfect mother to me. Mommy, can I hug you? Charles, go to your room. GUARD!!!!! GUARD!!!!!

Hey, don’t talk bad about corgis like that. They’re great dogs.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Real patriots fought a revolution to free America from the barbaric and tyrannical custom of the monarchy, but y'all carry on.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
RIP ER.

God save the King.

It was a beautiful ceremony.

We watched some of it today. The Brits really know how to do pomp and ceremony.
As an American, I don't get the British affection for the Royals. They don't "rule," have no real power over the country, and, as I understand it, they exist only because the British people permit it.
Still, Queen Elizabeth ruled Britain longer than I've been alive...and I'm fckn OLD. From what I've read over the decades, she did a lot to try to make changes that were beneficial to the people, not just the wealthy supporters of the Crown. (no doubt some Brit will come tell me how wrong I am...and I may very well be way wrong) I still think the royal family was responsible for the death of Princess Diana...whether it was an actual "hit" or not...we may never know.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Given the pending economic crisis in the UK, you'd think that all the $$$ from this could have been used better.

Harry & Meghan were smart to get out and distance themselves given the circumstances.

Reactions: Lezunto

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
We watched some of it today. The Brits really know how to do pomp and ceremony.
As an American, I don't get the British affection for the Royals. They don't "rule," have no real power over the country, and, as I understand it, they exist only because the British people permit it.
Still, Queen Elizabeth ruled Britain longer than I've been alive...and I'm fckn OLD. From what I've read over the decades, she did a lot to try to make changes that were beneficial to the people, not just the wealthy supporters of the Crown. (no doubt some Brit will come tell me how wrong I am...and I may very well be way wrong) I still think the royal family was responsible for the death of Princess Diana...whether it was an actual "hit" or not...we may never know.

You have to think how hard it was to keep your cool for 7 consecutive decades and not shoot your mouth off or screw things up.

The Queen served with dignity and grace considering she was still human. I just hope King Charles can at at least try to hold a candle to her legacy.

As far as Diana is concerned I blame the paparazzi. Have you seen them on TMZ harassing stars like parasites and giving none of them any privacy or peace? There should be a law against excessive attempts like that to just get a dang picture.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
You have to think how hard it was to keep your cool for 7 consecutive decades and not shoot your mouth off or screw things up.

That is the main positive I would say about her - she exemplified the aphorism about "it's better to keep your mouth closed and risk being considered a fool than to open it and remove all doubt". Charles does not have a track record that demonstrates he understands that - but he might change his ways now. Personally I really hope he doesn't as it would speed the end of this weird institution.

The ceremonial stuff is so weird that it's kind of impressive, I admit. Like the existence of a ceremonial carrier of the Monarch's magic stick, which he has to formally break and place on the coffin when the monarch dies. Who the heck dreamed that up? I hope it's not a recent innovation/invented-tradition, I would much rather believe that it has that been going on at every monarch's death for, like, a thousand years.

They are ultimately the descendants of the most successful crime family of the period of warring Anglo-Saxon and Celtic kingdoms from over 1000 years ago, give or take a Norman invasion and the occasional drafting in of replenishments from Germany.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
This self-flagellation and obeisance to a foreign monarch is just one of the reasons so many want Trump back in the White House.

Because he wants to be viewed, treated and respected as an all-powerful king.

The other reasons have to do with his hatred of People of Color.

Reactions: zinfamous

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Donald Trump claimed Monday that President Joe Biden’s seating in the 14th row at Queen Elizabeth’s funeral reflected a lack of respect for him ― and that Trump would have gotten a better spot “if I were president.” :p

If Trump were President, they'd have refused an invitation and told the guards to keep him out if he tried to crash the funeral!

Of course, intelligent folks know the real reason Biden sat in the 14th row: this was a funeral for the British monarchy, and the US President is just another non-Commonwealth head of state. Biden knows this and is happy to let others take the spotlight.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Trump would have been the last family on earth invited to any royal funeral.
Unfortunately the Obamas and Bush’s got screwed since commonwealth or not, you’ll going to invite as many former president of G7 nation. And they were friends with her unlike this orange baby