Queen Elizabeth II has died at 96

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You got what? Aces full? Read 'em and weep... royal flush!

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I remember the day I met the Queen.
I said "how ya doin Queen", and she said "slip me some skin bro", and so I did and that was that.

Do you remember the day YOU met the Queen?

• Wow
Reactions: zinfamous

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I've heard talk that among some of the likely monarchal reforms that are likely to come through King Tampon, is to change the title/description/whatever you call this thing: "Defender of the Faith" to "Defender of the Faiths"

That would be hilarious. I wonder how many christiofascist brexiter heads would explode if that happens. Might need a national clean up day.

• Haha
Reactions: Drach

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I've heard talk that among some of the likely monarchal reforms that are likely to come through King Tampon, is to change the title/description/whatever you call this thing: "Defender of the Faith" to "Defender of the Faiths"

That would be hilarious. I wonder how many christiofascist brexiter heads would explode if that happens. Might need a national clean up day.

Oh yeah, he said that a long time ago (a lifetime ago!). I'd forgotten about that. I wonder if he still intends to do it? I don't know how much outrage it would attract, really. That the head of the Church of England would be a slightly theologically eccentric mystic type with a high-opinion of his own mystical-guru abilities is going to be a little odd (in that respect he has a lot in common with a certain poster on here, come to think of it).

Edit - hey, maybe they're the same person?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
He really seems to be "all over the shop" when it comes to religion. He's well-known as a fan of Laurens van der Post, the South African prototype of Jordan Peterson. In my experience he's oddly popular among Muslims, but apparently he's also into Greek Orthodox Christianity.

He's famously into homeopathy (his patronage is the resaon why the NHS still includes it as a treatment option)

In fact, the theme was one Prince Charles has been publicly preoccupied with since 1982, when he chided the British Medical Association for modern medicine's obsession with cells and molecules at the expense of "traditional", holistic medicine.

More obnoxious to mainstream scientists was his 1996 accusation that science had tried to assume a "tyranny over our understanding". Perhaps most disturbing of all for the rationalists was his 1993 speech at the Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies, when he effectively accused his own faith of surrendering the world to science at the time of the Renaissance.

"At the core of Christianity there still lies an integral view of the sanctity of the world, and a clear sense of the trusteeship and responsibility given to us for our natural surroundings," he said. "But the west gradually lost this integrated vision of the world with Copernicus and Descartes and the coming of the scientific revolution."

Despite his wish to be known as "defender of faith" rather than defender of the Anglican faith on inheriting the throne, the prince loyally attends Anglican services. But he has compared main stream British Christianity and humanism unfavourably with more "traditionalist" religions like Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism and Jainism.

• Wow
Reactions: hal2kilo

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
I'm more worried about all the venom being directed against Meghan Markle. She's supposed to have "broken the Queen's heart, spirit and likely, her favorite throne." There's never an end to hatred against Black people.

When Prince Harry and Meghan exposed the Royals for their biased feelings, the couple did not blame the Queen, or her late husband, Prince Philip. But I imagine people want someone to blame for the Queen dying, so Meghan's tan skin makes her a convenient target.

• Haha
Reactions: CHADBOGA

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Anyone else have her "favorite drink"? Gin + Dubonett?

Kinda stuffy, tastes like something a monarch would drink, but honestly not bad. Made myself another one tonight.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
The queen looked a lot like my Grandma. But my Grandma lived to be 100! She passed away around this time last year. If she was alive now, she would have just turned 101!

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Still not safe to turn the radio or TV on. I don't _hate_ the monarchy, personally, I just have spent most of my life desperately trying not to hear about it, so I can pretend it isn't there. Above all, it's just so _boring_ to hear about. Sometimes it gets quite difficult to avoid it.

Not a bad article by Will Self

True, now he mentions it, that Charles is a bit of an ill-starred name when it comes to monarchs. All the more surprising he didn't pick a different one.

At least he isn't consistently reactionary, he's not someone who would fit in to the US right. At least he's not any sort of Christian supremacist, quite the opposite.

He's even a sort of environmentalist, in that conservative way that the aristocratic huntin' and shootin' class often are (they care about the environment because they own most of it). Curiously similar to the kind of right-wing 'environmentalism' that seems to feature in the Western parts of the US, only there it's a bit less aristocratic, becuase both land-ownership and hunting are more democratised.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
He's even a sort of environmentalist, in that conservative way that the aristocratic huntin' and shootin' class often are (they care about the environment because they own most of it). Curiously similar to the kind of right-wing 'environmentalism' that seems to feature in the Western parts of the US, only there it's a bit less aristocratic, becuase both land-ownership and hunting are more democratised.
There is still an environmental theme among the hunting and fishing right-wingers. Quite frankly, the more left leaning "environmental groups" need to figure out how to talk to these folks because they share a lot of concerns and goals. Landownership is mostly public in the western states but the allocation of grazing is based on a bizarre hereditary preference system. It's a completely un-American system that we've been stuck with for almost a century much to the detriment of the environment and the taxpayers. But that's for another thread, I suppose.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Still not safe to turn the radio or TV on. I don't _hate_ the monarchy, personally, I just have spent most of my life desperately trying not to hear about it, so I can pretend it isn't there. Above all, it's just so _boring_ to hear about. Sometimes it gets quite difficult to avoid it.
I can't see how even the BBC are going to manage a fortnight of "BREAKING NEWS: QUEEN STILL DEAD"

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
While CNN & MSNBC are showing the Queen’s procession, good ole Faux is showing a little box of it while continuing their usual Dem bashing.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

I can't decide how I feel about things like this. It's true that the monarchy is not only a ridiculous, often comical, institution, but it does sit at the heart of British imperialism, which has done many awful things, and furthermore also helped form the economically-unequal world we have ended up with. I think even domestically, much of how things work at home is a result of the Empire.

The Royals aren't really, when it comes down to it, very nice people. They didn't get to where they are by being nice. It's not a personal thing, it's structural, but the whole nature of monarchy is to personalize everything.

But being an anti-monarchist right now feels utterly futile. Even left-wing people I know have said vaguely-positive things about the royals.

I'm too much of a wishy-washy liberal to share the sentiment of that Carnegie-Melon professor. I don't feel it that personally. Plus, to be honest, I was bought up to be feel cynical about high-earning professors who talked like radicals while having lucrative middle-class careers. "Radical" academics seem to want it both ways.

But the comments others made about colonialism do seem to have a core of truth. Typical that the Mail describes them as "woke liberals" when what they say isn't really "liberal" (liberalism has historically been very pro-Empire).

I really hate the morass of cut-n-paste cliches that passes for speech on the right.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I am boycotting all coverage of the royal transition, funeral, whatever. The machinations of British aristocracy bore me. I have better things to do than glaze my eyes and ears with their coverage.

Feb 4, 2009
I see him inviting all knowing more likely than not, the orange monkey will reject the offer.
Per the news Trump really liked the Queen. He’s not the guy to go there to console or show sorrow but he is the guy to go to make business contacts. I’m not so sure about what you’ve said.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I see him inviting all knowing more likely than not, the orange monkey will reject the offer.

Oh, hell...I disagree. Trump wants to be royalty. I think he would show up even if he wasn't invited...maybe even if he was specifically told NOT to come

Reactions: hal2kilo
Feb 4, 2009
Seems like the Queen has show one final act of grace towards us. Only the President & First Lady are invited.

Reactions: pcgeek11

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
Seems like the Queen has show one final act of grace towards us. Only the President & First Lady are invited.

You are lucky to get that... ungrateful rebels... :p

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
I cannot believe CNN's Jake Tapper suggested President Biden invite Donald Trump to the Queen's funeral. No wonder, the Brits do not want Biden to lead a delegation.