Queen Elizabeth II has died at 96

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
TBH, my thought is that the news is going to be filled with info about-it-all for some time. :rolleyes: I generally don't have a lot of patience for all the media fascination with English royalty.

It'll be much worse here. It's going to be unbearable for weeks - nothing but official, compulsory, mourning, and endless retrospectives and sycophantic coverage.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It'll be much worse here. It's going to be unbearable for weeks - nothing but official, compulsory, mourning, and endless retrospectives and sycophantic coverage.
GREAT POINT! My condolences. My advice is to find refuge in whatever works for you, perhaps some wonderful reading, that's the first thing that comes to mind. A great book!!!

Now, speaking for myself, here in the Bay Area, northern California: I watch news, but I ALWAYS time shift and can FF through commercials and stories I have no patience for. Many times stories are 90+% of the time going to cover what I already know (or don't want to "know").

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
TBH, my thought is that the news is going to be filled with info about-it-all for some time. :rolleyes: I generally don't have a lot of patience for all the media fascination with English royalty.
Fox being one of the worst offenders. Funny, huh.

Reactions: Muse

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
The point being, that someone with no formal politcal power but with high popularity can have tremendous influence over those who do.
Royalty can massive impact on their nation. Good or bad.

During the German occupation of Denmark in WWII, King Christian X became a popular symbol of resistance, particularly because of the symbolic value of the fact that he rode his horse every day through the streets of Copenhagen unaccompanied by guards. With a reign spanning two world wars, and his role as a rallying symbol for Danish national sentiment during the German occupation, he became one of the most popular Danish monarchs of modern times - adapted from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_X_of_Denmark

But then again, he also stuffed up in the earlly history of Danish democracy by dismissing the elected Cabinet, but he backed down and sanity prevailed.

He was a bit miffed when Iceland decided to become a Republic during WWII, but he sent a nice letter anyways :D

Royalty can be useful. Possibly dangerous as well since they can serve as a focus point for nationalism.

RIP Elizabeth.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
So how does this affect my day?
It doesn't.

#1. I'm not British.
#2. I'm not a blood relative nor listed in the will. :(
#3. She had a rich full life, unlike the rest of her people.
#4. And, I just don't care. Why should I? Why should you?
Naturally, the news media cares because the death of a queen means ratings and money for them, but nothing for you.

Yeah I know.... I know....
I know people who's lives revolve around the royal family's goings on. People who act like the queen is Elvis in drag, but I'm not one of them.
She's dead. People die. Nothing new.
Lets please move on because there is really nothing to see here.

PS. I'll give her one thumbs up, she was pretty stable during WWII. I give her credit for that. That's all.

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
One potential outcome of Elizabeth's death is Australia becoming a Republic. There have been various republican movements here in Australia over the last 25 years or so, but they have always floundered on the popularity and love that a significant number of Australians has had for Elizabeth.

I don't believe the same affection will be accorded to King Charles, so I see another Republican attempt occurring at some point in the medium term.

Reactions: pmv and zinfamous

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Unfortunately he's going for Charles, he had the option of picking Arthur! What loser turns down the title King Arthur?!

It's not unusual that they choose different names. Edward 7th name was Albert, Victorias name was Alexandra.

God save King Tampax!

(should I do a linking for those not in the know?)

Reactions: WelshBloke

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
One potential outcome of Elizabeth's death is Australia becoming a Republic. There have been various republican movements here in Australia over the last 25 years or so, but they have always floundered on the popularity and love that a significant number of Australians has had for Elizabeth.

I don't believe the same affection will be accorded to King Charles, so I see another Republican attempt occurring at some point in the medium term.
Interesting times, this.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Long live Charlemediocris, founder of the second Carolinian dynasty!

someone needs to put together a nice facsimile of one of those 8th-12th century crests that all of those King's had, woodcuttings and stained glass, tapestries and such, bronzed sconces and roof bindings, etc....of Charlemediocris.

I suspect some number of people might derive some enjoyment from that.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
GREAT POINT! My condolences. My advice is to find refuge in whatever works for you, perhaps some wonderful reading, that's the first thing that comes to mind. A great book!!!

Now, speaking for myself, here in the Bay Area, northern California: I watch news, but I ALWAYS time shift and can FF through commercials and stories I have no patience for. Many times stories are 90+% of the time going to cover what I already know (or don't want to "know").

That is what I liked about living there. You feel like you're always 4-10 hours behind news of the world, in a way, and can get work and stuff done, catch up, at your speed. Or, you just wake up and it's already happened! Easier still. Much easier.

Set your mind for the news worth following the rest of the day, and it's all somewhat easy to ignore because you already know if it's just become fluff when you first hear about it.

Reactions: Muse

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
THE QUEEN AND ENGLISH BOB -- The Majesty of Royalty Ya See . . .

Some script-lines from Clint Eastwood’s western – “Unforgiven”:

BOB
Well, Sir, again I don't wish to give offense when I suggest that this
country should select a, uh, king or even a queen instead of a president. One isn't that quick to shoot a king or a queen.

The majesty of royalty, you see.

JOE
Well, maybe you don't wish to give offense, Sir, but you are giving it pretty thick. This country don't need no queens whatsoever, I reckon. As a matter of fact what I heard about queens---

THIRSTY
Shut up, Joe!

JOE
What's the hell's wrong with you, Thirsty, This dud son of a bitch--

THIRSTY
Might be that this dude here is English Bob. He's the one who works for the railroad shootin' Chinamen. Might be he's just waiting for some crazy cowboy to touch his pistol so he can shoot him down.

Maybe – for saying that he “heard about queens” -- Joe is talking about the “Q” in LGBTQ -- or the "-vestite" behind the "T". I cannot say for sure, but it was the first thing that came to mind when I initially saw that delightful western. Even so – “The Queen is dead. Long live the Queen!”

After four years of Donald Trump in the White House, and another two years of his behaving as though wrongly evicted, I love the Queen. The Queen is just peachy. I’m going to miss the Queen.

Figure when Trump’s time arrives, he will protest. “It’s not my ‘time’! It’s fake news!” First, they dragged him kicking and screaming from the White House – or at least so he was depicted in some cartoon. And yes, more figuratively, Trump has been clinging to the White House exit door with desperate fingers. When his time comes, he’ll try and con the Devil himself. “Hey! I’ll trade you these top-secret documents if I can live forever!”

And that’s why a project to visit Trump’s grave, if we outlive him, requires a long wooden stake and a sledge hammer.

That’s my plan, anyway . . . . Any good vampire movie will make my intentions clear. It raises your attention somewhat in knowing that Trump has a friend named "Vlad". Vlad Putin? Vlad Dracula?

As for loving the Queen, here's a caveat. I could only slam-dance with Helen Mirren, and then probably only a much younger Helen Mirren. Like maybe the Helen from the late 80s or 90s.

I'm jus' sayin' . . . . . The Queen doesn't wick my Willie, but I still think the Queen is just absolutely peachy.

Last edited: