Queen Elizabeth II has died at 96

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Don't understand worshipping rich people for being born rich. One big mouth UK taxpayers don't have to feed now.

I think you should look into her life more closely. She pulled more than her weight during WW2 and beyond...

I am also not a fan of Kings and Queens, but it is their country.

RIP

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Lezunto

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
It's going to get even worse with King Charles (though he might not be called that - weirdly, it's possible he'll pick a new name when be becomes King, apparently that's part of the convention).
He should pick a solid Irish name like Seamus, Brian, Sean, Conor, Liam, or Colin just to f' with people.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Slightly weird mixed-message there! Generally referring to Northern Ireland as "Ulster" is a signifier of Unionism.
I could have said the six occupied counties but you'd be the only one on the board who knew what I was talking about.

Reactions: Atari2600 and pmv

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I think you should look into her life more closely. She pulled more than her weight during WW2 and beyond...

RIP

She could have been a _lot_ worse. And we are probably about to find how how much worse it could have been.

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
He should pick a solid Irish name like Seamus, Brian, Sean, Conor, Liam, or Colin just to f' with people.
From that other thread on the subject, I learned that a King Louis is a legit possibility in the British future.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Elizabeth Windsor had seventy years to speak out against the violence perpetrated by her government and in her name against the people of Ulster and chose not to do so. I guess she had more important things to do.
On a serious note she can't speak out on political things without the permission of parliament.
And, as a republican (in the international usage of the term, not the US political usage) I agree with that stance.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Queen Camilla! Someone better go over to the Daily Mail offices and mop up all the asploded heads.

• Haha
Reactions: Drach

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Why would a PM want to know what some entitled silver spoon bag thinks of his policy anyways?

Probably because she has usually been quite popular with the general public in the UK. The thing is, if she HAD been willing to sometimes speak publicly about her views, she may have had more influence over the PM's because they would worry that if they did not go along with her view, she could say something negative about them through the press. I have to think that her commitment to never commenting probably diminshed her influence. But since all those conversations were private, no one can really say how much influence she had.

Contrast with Emporer Hirohito, another figurehead with no formal polical power, but who would sometimes express his views to the pubic through radio addresses. When the civilian and military branches of Japan's government could not agree that they should surrender after we dropped two A-bombs on them, and Hirohito privately told them they needed to surrender, the military had no choice because Hirohito would have gone on the radio and told the people that the military was consigning Japan to total annihilition. He was so popular that the military would have faced mass desertions.

The point being, that someone with no formal politcal power but with high popularity can have tremendous influence over those who do.

Reactions: RnR_au and Lezunto

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It's going to get even worse with King Charles (though he might not be called that - weirdly, it's possible he'll pick a new name when be becomes King, apparently that's part of the convention).

Unfortunately he's going for Charles, he had the option of picking Arthur! What loser turns down the title King Arthur?!

It's not unusual that they choose different names. Edward 7th name was Albert, Victorias name was Alexandra.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Unfortunately he's going for Charles, he had the option of picking Arthur! What loser turns down the title King Arthur?!

It's not unusual that they choose different names. Edward 7th name was Albert, Victorias name was Alexandra.
Well duh, Victoria wanted to stay hip to her era.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
She made a valiant attempt at cleaning up the reputation of the family. Holy hell, her previous predecessors were serious wankers. The whole Dianna thing blew all of that up. No, I'm not blaming Diana.

That was mostly Elizabeth's doing, since she well knew he loved someone else. She must have figured he'd get over it or something.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Charlesian, pronounces Char-lays-ian?
Charlesoic, pronounced Charl-zoic?
Chucknotic?
Charliferous?
Prebillian?

• Haha

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Charlesian, pronounces Char-lays-ian?
Charlesoic, pronounced Charl-zoic?
Chucknotic?
Charliferous?
Prebillian?

Apparently the term for the reign of a Charles is "Caroline era". We'll be the new Carolinians, I suppose. Not so Sweet Caroline.

• Haha
Reactions: dawp

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
It’s a great opportunity for Canada and other dominion countries to move on from the monarchy. It’s unlikely we’ll ever get as good of a monarch as her again.

• Wow
Reactions: Denly and zinfamous

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Queen Elizabeth did dance with the President of Ghana in 1961. Some point to this as proof of her anti-racism credentials. I think it was more to keep most of Black Africa from siding with Communist Russia.

But she was married to Prince Philip, who was known to make insulting and disparaging comments.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
TBH, my thought is that the news is going to be filled with info about-it-all for some time. :rolleyes: I generally don't have a lot of patience for all the media fascination with English royalty.