Quebec may secede from Canada

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Looks like there might me two Countries north of the U.S. soon.

They have tried before and didn't succeed but they are growing very tired of the Conservative rule up there.

The Canucks in the big City of Quebec don't like the Religious Radical Righties that plague their country just like many in the U.S. don't like them here either.

2-15-2012

http://news.yahoo.com/trudeau-son-justin-mulls-possible-separate-quebec-070610355.html

Trudeau son Justin mulls possible separate Quebec

The son of one of the greatest defenders of Canadian unity, former Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, has stirred up a hornets' nest by speculating about backing Quebec separatism if the country moves too far right.

Trudeau's 40-year-old son, Justin, now a Liberal member of Parliament, said in an interview with the French-language service of the Canadian Broadcasting Corp on Sunday that he was enormously saddened by the direction of the country under Conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

"I always say, if at a certain point I thought that Canada was really the Canada of Stephen Harper - that we were going against abortion, and we were going against gay marriage and we were going backwards in 10,000 different ways - maybe I would think about wanting to make Quebec a country," he said.

Even 17 years after the last Quebec referendum, the topic is still raw with emotion among Canadians who fretted about the Alaska-sized province being torn out of their country, and among the separatists who came within a whisker of winning in 1995.

Those pushing for Quebec independence are currently in some disarray but vow to press ahead with another try when the conditions are right.
Harper's Conservatives were reelected last May with a majority in the House of Commons, reducing the once-mighty Liberals to third-party status.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
The Tories made a mountain out of this molehill. Justin is a federalist to his very core and has already corrected his misspeak. Also separatism is consistently going down in the polls as only the old harcore PQ generation is interested in it. Younger people are more global and less parochial in their outlook. For example, my nephew and niece gave their children English names.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
If there's going to be a civil war in Canada any chance the U.S. might pick up a few new States?

*edit*Dang, I guess Justin was just proving the saying true about his fathers looks and his mother brains.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
If there's going to be a civil war in Canada any chance the U.S. might pick up a few new States?

*edit*Dang, I guess Justin was just proving the saying true about his fathers looks and his mother brains.

There woudn't be a civil war. This is Canada. We don't do things that way. The conditions for secession are established in The Clarity Act. If they were fulfilled, separation would be negotiated. We speak with words, not guns. That is the Canadian way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarity_Act

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
There woudn't be a civil war. This is Canada. We don't do things that way. The conditions for secession are established in The Clarity Act. If they were fulfilled, separation would be negotiated. We speak with words, not guns. That is the Canadian way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarity_Act

When it comes to a handful of rich righties about to lose billions of dollars I bet they resort to guns.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Quebec has been talking about this for decades. There's no reason to think it's any more likely now than back then. There are also groups looking to separate various states from the union, also not going to happen. I bet you'll find people in Scotland who want to dig a trench and make it its own island as well.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
God the OP is an idiot. The Canadian conservatives are in no way "Religious Radical Righties" and Harper is far more of a centrist than some US Democrats.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
God the OP is an idiot. The Canadian conservatives are in no way "Religious Radical Righties" and Harper is far more of a centrist than some US Democrats.

I admit I don't know a great deal about Canada but in this case I am going by what he said:

"I always say, if at a certain point I thought that Canada was really the Canada of Stephen Harper - that we were going against abortion, and we were going against gay marriage and we were going backwards in 10,000 different ways - maybe I would think about wanting to make Quebec a country," he said.

That certainly sound exactly the same as the rich religious radial righties that plague the U.S.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Looks like there might me two Countries north of the U.S. soon.

They have tried before and didn't succeed but they are growing very tired of the Conservative rule up there.

The Canucks in the big City of Quebec don't like the Religious Radical Righties that plague their country just like many in the U.S. don't like them here either.

When it comes to a handful of rich righties about to lose billions of dollars I bet they resort to guns.

When it comes to misunderstanding and making stupid assessments of most any given situation you've got everyone beat hands down.

Kntx

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2000
I admit I don't know a great deal about Canada but in this case I am going by what he said:

That certainly sound exactly the same as the rich religious radial righties that plague the U.S.

"He" in this case being Steven Harper's political opponent.

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
The Canadian conservatives are in no way "Religious Radical Righties" and Harper is far more of a centrist than some US Democrats.

It's been said that Canadian Conservatives are more liberal than American Liberals.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The biggest issue not resolved for seperation is debt. Quebec wants to give it all to Canada and Canada says no, they need to keep their portion. If Quebec kept their portion of the debt, they would make Greece look rich and stable, so they cannot leave the union.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
The Tories made a mountain out of this molehill. Justin is a federalist to his very core and has already corrected his misspeak. Also separatism is consistently going down in the polls as only the old harcore PQ generation is interested in it. Younger people are more global and less parochial in their outlook. For example, my nephew and niece gave their children English names.

I'm in Alberta and two of my friends are from Quebec. Their take on the situation is interesting. They said Quebec should remain part of Canada because Quebec is a giant welfare case. Leaving the country would cost them billions. That's actually true:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equalization_payments_in_Canada
the following provinces will receive equalization payments:[3]
Quebec ($7.391 billion)
Ontario ($3.261 billion)
Manitoba ($1.671 billion)
New Brunswick ($1.495 billion)
Nova Scotia ($1.268 billion)
Prince Edward Island ($337 million)

The following provinces will not qualify for equalization payments in 2012-2013:
Alberta
Saskatchewan
Newfoundland and Labrador
British Columbia

I've never been to Quebec but I support them being independent. The culture is different, the language is different, the rules are different. Contests that include Canada and the US almost always exclude Quebec. Instead of Canada Pension Plan (CPP), Quebec has QPP. It's pretty much its own country already. We think they drag us down and they think we drag them down. We should split up and go our own ways. We'll all be better off.

mammador

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2010
If the Quebecois want it, then so be it. I'm not Canadian, so don't care really. I don't think all of Canada will break up, Ontario and maybe Newfoundland could be viable sovereign states, I doubt the Yukon Terrorities could though.

North America pisses me off a bit though, they have so much land and resources, they have cultures which are recent and amalgams of other cultures, and they still by and large are anti-immigration lol...

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
I've never been to Quebec but I support them being independent. The culture is different, the language is different, the rules are different. Contests that include Canada and the US almost always exclude Quebec. Instead of Canada Pension Plan (CPP), Quebec has QPP. It's pretty much its own country already. We think they drag us down and they think we drag them down. We should split up and go our own ways. We'll all be better off.

This is the same basis as the new Revolution in America that has already begun.

Battle lines being drawn between the rich and religious Vs the poor.