Quasi Warm? --> AVERATEC 6lbs Mobile Athlon 64 Notebook for 1199.99 AR @ CC

NoToRiOuS1

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004
Hot or not? You decide...and flame away should you feel the need :)

linky

? Mobile Athlon? 64 3000+
? 80GB hard drive
? 512MB RAM
? DVD+/-RW/CD-RW drive
? 15.4" widescreen display
? Included remote
(*integrated graphics)

you can watch dvd, play cd, mp3 w/out turning the compy on. i saw this in person...i LOVE the screen...i was considering the ultraportable from averatec(3250 series w/ 80gb, dvd+/-) but i think i might go for this.

a side note:
we have about 4 averatecs in the family and three of my friends own averatecs(all of them own 3250s...they took my advice :))...not a single problem w/ any of em. as far as the experience in my house...averatec is all that will ever be purchased from now on.

and no i dont work for averatec but im just surprised that a company can actually sell a good laptop thats full of features for such a low price.

wicktron

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2002
It's whatevers. I'm indifferent about that deal.
They have a Gateway A64 3000+, 512mb, 15.4 WXGA, DVD-ROM/CD-RW, 60GB, Mobility Radeon 9600 @ Costco for the same price as this without rebate.

modedepe

Diamond Member
May 11, 2003
Originally posted by: rocadelpunk
what kind of video card does it have? :0

Since it says unspecified I'd assume it's integrated. Ok deal, but the one that wicktron posted is probably the one I would opt for.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: modedepe

Since it says unspecified I'd assume it's integrated. Ok deal, but the one that wicktron posted is probably the one I would opt for.

:confused:

Of COURSE it's integrated...it's a LAPTOP! heheheh

Banana

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Fritzo

:confused:

Of COURSE it's integrated...it's a LAPTOP! heheheh
really? Even the fancy ass graphic chips?
<--Don't know much about lappies.

NoToRiOuS1

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004

yea it has integrated graphics. i called up averatec customer service to find out since this model is not posted on their website for some odd reason.

NoToRiOuS1

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004
Originally posted by: Macro2
Who is Avertec? They look like a Sony.

definitely not sony as you can tell by its affordable and reasonable prices and very few intel based models in their lineup. i have done a lot of research on them but long story short...their laptops are built pretty sturdy...prices are very good...and they offer a lot of features(perhaps not the best deal with this one but a lot of people will admit that the averatec 3250 series are a VERY good bang for the buck if you've seen any recent deals on em)

xfosx

Jun 30, 2004
Actually the laptop is on the site. 8)

http://www.averatec.com/notebooks/6240series.htm

videocard- SiS M741
Audio card- Realtek ALC655
lcd- 15.4 WXGA (1280x800)
ram- 512mb ddr 333
usb ports- 4
video ports- s-video, &amp; 15-pin vga
dimensions- 13.98 x 10.04 x 1.18in
warranty- 1 year (battery 6 months)

thats about all i can dig up on it. =)

NoToRiOuS1

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004
what the frick? i guess they mustve added it just recently because that was not there before. but thank you for the info!

Macro2

Diamond Member
May 20, 2000
There is a nice small one at SAMS Club. $899. I've been giving it the eyeball for a while now, I believe it has a 12.4" screen and an Athlon M chip and weighs about 4 pounds.

NoToRiOuS1

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004
Originally posted by: Macro2
There is a nice small one at SAMS Club. $899. I've been giving it the eyeball for a while now, I believe it has a 12.4" screen and an Athlon M chip and weighs about 4 pounds.

what you're referring to is the averatec 3200 series. i have many of those in my family. they work really nice. dont bother w/ averatec's website. check out some reviews...almost all rave about the bang for the buck this notebook provides.
now im in a problematic situation....should i opt for the a64 or go w/ the ultraportable 3200 series. ahhh choices choices :)

RobsTV

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2000
Doesn't seem to make sense spending the extra cash (sometimes twice as much), for a laptop with a faster CPU, yet still stuck with crappy gaming graphics speed, unless you are just spending double to get lighter weight.

Just tested a New Dell 1150 with it's Celeron 2.8GHz, as well as an 18 month old HP ze5375 with it's 2.4GHz P4, and compared to 5 year old 300MHz Toshiba Tecra 750CDT, there was not that much speed difference doing light tasks such as web browsing, email, built-in XP games, and even many Office apps.

Even in these non-gaming laptops, the biggest difference by far was when some 3d gaming was done, even low end gaming. The HP with it's ATi IGP was twice as fast as the Dell, and handled Leisure Suit Larry VIII fine, which the other laptops could not play. (for reference, the Dell scored 1100 3dm2k1, while the HP scored 1900 3dm2k1).

For normal non-gaming use, seems like going from a $500 laptop to a $1100 laptop may give you 10% better performance that you can see and feel.

But if you instead think gaming, then going from a $500 laptop to a $1100 laptop with decent graphics capaibilties, and you can easily see and feel a 300% increase (or more) in performance.

I would NOT trade the old Toshiba 300MHz laptop for the Dell, because both are only suited for non-gaming use, and the Toshiba has ton's of features and ports that they no longer include on laptops.

Even if gaming is not your thing, it would be better to try to keep gaming in mind, as resale value will stay higher longer if the machine can still perform decent a couple years later. Look for ATi or nVidia in the laptop for best results. CPU will not give you the best bang for the buck, but graphics chip will.

The older Averatec 6130HS includes the ATi Mobility Radeon 9600 graphics, and is priced about the same as this. For everyday apps, you would see no difference, but for gaming, (and resale) huge improvement.