quarantine nurse complains

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I'm thinking in terms of both.

Put aside the the fear, stress and suffering of anybody who might be infected by a returnee, how do you think those who sat near the nurse on the plane felt after they were contacted by the CDC?

I've lost track of how many were contacted by the CDC in contact tracing, but it's quite a lot.

Fern

The problem is that many are stirring up fears, and I largely blame the press. Ebola this and ebola that and from reading that and what some post here there's a frenzy of sorts which is the reason for that fear, stress and suffering, not the disease. Take the NY doctor and how he "lied". As posted by another he didn't. The official word was that he cooperated fully and there was no lie. Yet look at the fearmongers here. It turns out it wasn't him, but thoughtlessness which was to blame.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
The problem is that many are stirring up fears, and I largely blame the press. Ebola this and ebola that and from reading that and what some post here there's a frenzy of sorts which is the reason for that fear, stress and suffering, not the disease. Take the NY doctor and how he "lied". As posted by another he didn't. The official word was that he cooperated fully and there was no lie. Yet look at the fearmongers here. It turns out it wasn't him, but thoughtlessness which was to blame.

Compared to the swine flu and the bird flu it is nothing.

But I guess in those cases one could do a bunch of things to feel better and actually point and tell "wash your hands better!" and "you should get your shot".

It is also mildly amusing that the people that would instantly vote to take measures to restrict the number of flights to reduce CO2 emissions are actually opposed to travel bans.

I would feel way more secure if a media frenzy actually materialized because true catastrophes are never predicted.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
This quarantine and the people supporting it are idiotic.

Ebola is not easily transmissable. She is not symptomatic, let alone a public danger. There is no justification to hold her and I fully support her fight against a bunch of cowardly beaurocrats, knownothings and bedwetters.

We don't do this for other diseases that are more transmissable and actually kill far more people. They are not even doing this for other HC personnel treating the current patient in NYC.

How many people died from flu last season? TENS OF THOUSANDS The avg is around 36,000 people who die every year. So far we've had 1 person die from ebola and everybody is flipping the fuck out.

More people will die from flu than ebola this year, by multitudes. Nobody is suggesting we quarantine all the flu nurses/drs, as it is an obviously stupid suggestion. Yet for ebola, somehow its now ok, and actually "good" public policy.

Let the woman go, as well as all the hard working and highly courageous people and let them get about their business of saving people's lives. Christie and Cuomo are idiots, and Christie is a scumbag for attacking her.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2005
Good god, the crazy bitch went for a bike ride! I'm scared, somebody please hold me.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/30/ebola-nurse-maine-quarantine/18166889/

Good. I can't see how the state can legally keep her quarantined when the best scientific evidence says that people are only contagious with ebola when/if they show symptoms. It's not like she's an asymptomatic carrier, transmitting ebola to others like Typhoid Mary was for typhoid fever (who was an asymptomatic carrier who continuously worked as a cook, defying a less-stringent than quarantine state order to stop working as a cook (since she was spreading it that way) and eventually ending up in quarantine).

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
She is going to give that secluded gravel path EBOLA!!!

http://stmedia.startribune.com/images/620*425/10006781+5Ebola+Nurse+Quarantined+Maine.JPG

In related news; the A train has REEKED of chlorine/ammonia the past few days. For those not making the connection, the A train is what Doc Spencer of NYC took, before his ebola symptoms got worse and he had to be hospitalized/quarantined.

And, it was every train on the line,.. so, they (MTA) must have soaked each car in chemicals at the train yard.

massmedia

Oct 1, 2014
There's possible, indeed probable harm being done. That's would be a real cost. The benefit? There isn't any. Well it makes people feel better, but that's not science is it? Can you tell me on what scientific basis the governors of NY and NJ made their decision? Decisions of health made by pandering and ignorance.

the scientific illiteracy in this thread is truly breathtaking.

what is the "possible, indeed probable harm"????
that phrase means ZERO.

Be specific and explicit or quit with the arm waiving.

Benefit - elimination of a possible source of future exposure.

massmedia

Oct 1, 2014
to the scientific illiterates in this thread proclaming that "it's not scientifically justified" i have a wake up call to deliver.

Ebola is a down right shittly understood virus from a scientific perspective. the basic science that has been done on ebola in human populations is minimal and some of that whoch has been performed was atrociously bad... not because of incompetence o n the part of study authors but rather because the studies were being carried out in the middle of nowhere with poor equipment and supplies and resources.

the state of the science on ebola is so far behind where it needs to be that anyone proclaiming that "it's not science" etc etc is instantly revealing themselves to be either scientifically illiterate or a person giving bad advice based on political motivation. that phrase simply cannot be used with the poor state of the science that has been performed on ebola to date.

go to the primary literature and read it for yourself (assuming you all have the requisite experience and knowledge to actually read the primary literature - this i highly doubt).

massmedia

Oct 1, 2014
Good. I can't see how the state can legally keep her quarantined when the best scientific evidence says that people are only contagious with ebola when/if they show symptoms.

case in point.
to what "scientific evidence" are you referring

go to pubmed and conjure forth the articles in question.
PMID's will suffice

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

On that we agree. Some have come in arguing science when all the science that exists goes against their fears, yet they go on and on about how they are right and everyone else who are far more expert are wrong. Thousands or millions dead some predicted, yet we have no spread. Even the infamous Rick Perry couldn't bring about the holocaust. Nurses coming back, not having symptoms, not having a positive test, no having infected anyone. It looks like the scientists are onto something.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
to the scientific illiterates in this thread proclaming that "it's not scientifically justified" i have a wake up call to deliver.

Ebola is a down right shittly understood virus from a scientific perspective. the basic science that has been done on ebola in human populations is minimal and some of that whoch has been performed was atrociously bad... not because of incompetence o n the part of study authors but rather because the studies were being carried out in the middle of nowhere with poor equipment and supplies and resources.

the state of the science on ebola is so far behind where it needs to be that anyone proclaiming that "it's not science" etc etc is instantly revealing themselves to be either scientifically illiterate or a person giving bad advice based on political motivation. that phrase simply cannot be used with the poor state of the science that has been performed on ebola to date.

go to the primary literature and read it for yourself (assuming you all have the requisite experience and knowledge to actually read the primary literature - this i highly doubt).

Can you enlighten us on your knowledge and experience?

Also, we're still waiting for your list of people who are allowed to express opinions on quarantines.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

Please, awe us with your credentials.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Can you enlighten us on your knowledge and experience?

Also, we're still waiting for your list of people who are allowed to express opinions on quarantines.

Certainly I'm not qualified, although I have a degree in a health field, and a doctorate in cell biology (admittedly a lot of water has passed since then). I suppose my wife could opine since she is a molecular geneticist with a doctorate, with a masters in immunology with expertise in other areas of biology as well. She's current BTW. But since she is mostly amused in a sad sort of way by all that's said on this forum on this subject I'm sure she's not qualified either. She's smarter than me, obviously, since she won't even try.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Certainly I'm not qualified, although I have a degree in a health field, and a doctorate in cell biology (admittedly a lot of water has passed since then). I suppose my wife could opine since she is a molecular geneticist with a doctorate, with a masters in immunology with expertise in other areas of biology as well. She's current BTW. But since she is mostly amused in a sad sort of way by all that's said on this forum on this subject I'm sure she's not qualified either. She's smarter than me, obviously, since she won't even try.

It's hard for me to even fathom who might be considered qualified. The act of gaining the experience he considers necessary to opine on Ebola quarantines also disqualifies you from opining on them due to conflicts of interest.

My guess is that what is required for your credentials to be acceptable is that you agree with him.

Dec 10, 2005
case in point.
to what "scientific evidence" are you referring

go to pubmed and conjure forth the articles in question.
PMID's will suffice

Why should I be forced to dig through Pubmed for primary literature on the subject? I have my own scientific research to do. So I have to put some faith in the experts in the respective field (doctors and scientists who actually study this problem).

Based on this helpful review paper, which in practice, is usually as good as primary sources, since experts take the primary source data and put it in perspective together: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4197285/

Human transmission happens only through close contact with an ill or convalescent person, although at this stage the risk of infection is very small. Studies conducted during the various epidemics have shown that less than one fifth of the people (see Tables 2 and ​and3)3) living with a confirmed or probable primary patient have developed the disease [24–26, 35]. All secondary cases were recorded among people with close contact with the patient and exposed to infected biological fluids.

There is no contamination by air or just handshake.
The short of it: no symptoms, no transmission.

And Constitutionally speaking, quarantines are quite extreme. Even people with drug resistant, transmissible TB that weren't taking their medication have won court cases against quarantine since health officials can simply mandate they take the medication under supervision, which is effectively what's called for now with ebola: monitor for symptoms and go to a hospital if symptoms start to develop (eg: fever).

abj13

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2005

Ah, if there isn't more evidence that you have never read a single scientific journal article about Ebola, this ignorant post reflects it. Explain to me why the Gire et al paper recently published in Science was conducted in the "middle of nowhere?" Are you serious in trying to tell us that Harvard University, where the processing and sequencing of the virus is the "middle of nowhere?"

Better yet, explain to me why you think the NEJM article by Baize et al is considered "in the middle of nowhere?" All samples were processed and tested in Lyon, France and Hamburg Germany. That's in the "middle of nowhere?"

Fact is that you haven't read a single journal article about Ebola. Or else you wouldn't be making such ignorant claims about the research. And that's just two studies, published in some of the major scientific journals. There's plenty more we can talk about.

Dec 10, 2005
Ah, if there isn't more evidence that you have never read a single scientific journal article about Ebola, this ignorant post reflects it. Explain to me why the Gire et al paper recently published in Science was conducted in the "middle of nowhere?" Are you serious in trying to tell us that Harvard University, where the processing and sequencing of the virus is the "middle of nowhere?"

Better yet, explain to me why you think the NEJM article by Baize et al is considered "in the middle of nowhere?" All samples were processed and tested in Lyon, France and Hamburg Germany. That's in the "middle of nowhere?"

Fact is that you haven't read a single journal article about Ebola. Or else you wouldn't be making such ignorant claims about the research. And that's just two studies, published in some of the major scientific journals. There's plenty more we can talk about.
I guess 1000+ papers in Pubmed from 1955-2013 (just to filter out any recent stuff from this year) means nothing too.

nixium

Aug 25, 2008

what is the "possible, indeed probable harm"????
that phrase means ZERO.

Be specific and explicit or quit with the arm waiving.

Benefit - elimination of a possible source of future exposure.

If you're so worried about it why don't you quarantine yourself? Lock yourself up in a bunker or something and cut off all contact with the outside world. The nonsense you're spewing in this thread is 100% affecting whereas taking a chance with Ebola is much better.

Ignorant, hateful, bill-of-rights violating troglodyte. Go to Iran/North Korea, I'm sure you'll love being there with other similar close minded assholes.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I think my concern turned the page when a cop could rummage through Duncan's apartment and not come down sick. That and Duncan didn't transmit Ebola to ANYONE outside poorly equipped healthcare workers. His case did NOT go wild, did not cause an outbreak - and it was poorly handled.

If that screw up doesn't present an outbreak, I must recognize the difficulty of transmitting Ebola.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I think my concern turned the page when a cop could rummage through Duncan's apartment and not come down sick. That and Duncan didn't transmit Ebola to ANYONE outside poorly equipped healthcare workers. His case did NOT go wild, did not cause an outbreak - and it was poorly handled.

If that screw up doesn't present an outbreak, I must recognize the difficulty of transmitting Ebola.

You learn and that's commendable. What I do not relate to is people who are so invested in an opinion which so clearly goes against experience as we now have here, never mind the science. It's not like there's any ego which needs to be invested in facts. Everyone can be mistaken, but it's usually best to learn from reality, correct one's perception and move on.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It's hard for me to even fathom who might be considered qualified. The act of gaining the experience he considers necessary to opine on Ebola quarantines also disqualifies you from opining on them due to conflicts of interest.

My guess is that what is required for your credentials to be acceptable is that you agree with him.

I'm starting to think that massmedia is the literate (meaning--no copy pasting of the same talking points gleaned from other sources) version of Incorruptible.

dude appeared about the same time, or soon other the other vanished...the very same inch-thick stone cranium, impervious to external influence.