quality of shampoo - does it matter?

iskim86

Banned
Jul 6, 2001
www.isaackim.org
hey there, recently I've been noticing the texture of my hair has gotten worse. I have long hair and been using a variety of different products... ranges from Dove to one dollar shampoo. I have lots of gray hair but my volume seems fine. i am not balding.

do you think the price/quality of shampoo matters? I know for long hair, using the right conditioner is crucial for good hair health, but i mean, it's just animal fat in a bottle, what difference can it make?

anyone have any suggestions/experiences? I am 21 years old with black wavey hair. thanks.

Isabel

Dec 9, 2007
I have long and super thick hair and can definitely tell a difference if I use cheap shampoo/conditioner. I used to buy salon products but then tried Garnier Fructis and liked it just as well. I buy it at Costco for ~$7/8 for 40 fl oz and it does the trick!

iskim86

Banned
Jul 6, 2001
www.isaackim.org
Originally posted by: Isabel
I have long and super thick hair and can definitely tell a difference if I use cheap shampoo/conditioner. I used to buy salon products but then tried Garnier Fructis and liked it just as well. I buy it at Costco for ~$7/8 for 40 fl oz and it does the trick!

have you tried Nioxin? some people swear by it and it's somewhat popular among musicians with long hair...

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Yes, but it's not just price. You have to find the right shampoo.

I've been switching between 4 different products in the past half year, yet only one leaves my hair feeling "right". The other 3 don't "sud" right, smell weird, feel weird or make my head itch like crazy.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
When I kept my hair short, (most of my life) any shampoo would do...in fact, many times I just washed it with whatever bar soap I was using...(when it's REAL short...it doesn't matter) Since I let my wife talk me into growing it out...

Depends on how long your hair is. If you keep it short, you cut off any damaged bits fairly regularly...if you have long hair like I do, then the quality of shampoo and conditioner can be important. I have a LOT of gray hair, and it has the texture of steel wool if I don't use a good conditioner.
The CHEAPEST shampoo and conditioner I use is Pantene Pro...I also use Nutrogena Triple Moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. I tried the Nexxus Moisturizing shampoo and Humectres conditioner...Makes the hair LOOK good, but over all, I'm VERY disappointed in the overall performance.
(sheesh...listen to me...prattling on about shampoo like a female!):eek:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I've tried everything from Head and Shoulders to Neutrogena to American Crew. Never noticed much of a difference. I'm currently using the Head and Shoulder 2 in 1 shampoo + conditioner. My hair feels standardly smooth, remains undamaged, I never get dandruff, and my scalp naturally moisturizes itself overnight (I take showers at night), so...

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
I just use bar soap most of the time. Occasionally I use equate (walmart brand) shampoo and conditioner. My hair looks fine.

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: BoomerD
When I kept my hair short, (most of my life) any shampoo would do...in fact, many times I just washed it with whatever bar soap I was using...(when it's REAL short...it doesn't matter) Since I let my wife talk me into growing it out...

Depends on how long your hair is. If you keep it short, you cut off any damaged bits fairly regularly...if you have long hair like I do, then the quality of shampoo and conditioner can be important. I have a LOT of gray hair, and it has the texture of steel wool if I don't use a good conditioner.
The CHEAPEST shampoo and conditioner I use is Pantene Pro...I also use Nutrogena Triple Moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. I tried the Nexxus Moisturizing shampoo and Humectres conditioner...Makes the hair LOOK good, but over all, I'm VERY disappointed in the overall performance.
(sheesh...listen to me...prattling on about shampoo like a female!):eek:

shut up you metro bitch! ;)

:D

Oct 4, 2004
I have tried everything from the cheap stuff to the good stuff (L'Oreal). I discovered I just have really, truly unfortunate hair.

iskim86

Banned
Jul 6, 2001
www.isaackim.org
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel
I have tried everything from the cheap stuff to the good stuff (L'Oreal). I discovered I just have really, truly unfortunate hair.

i don't think loreal even gets close to being good. all about the name. Nioxin is what I hear hair salons use for bad hair conditions. it's over $25 for a bottle though.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
[
shut up you metro bitch! ;)

:D

Sorry, not metro in the slightest. I can't be...I don't give a shit about fashion...in fact, I wear jean shorts (GASP!) in the summer, and inexpensive jeans most of the rest of the time...
THAT'S against the Metro rules...

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
My hair is around 1inch max so basically anything works. I've noticed that some shampoos leave the smell in longer than others (fructis vs herbal essence). I try to get a different shampoo everytime just because i like variety

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
I like Garnier, mostly because it smells great. When I first got it I had the biggest urge to eat/drink it... pretty sure it was a good thing I didn't. I don't think my shampoo matters as much as how I dry my hair.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Head and Shoulders FTW. keeps my hair from being greasy (i hate that) and thus, helps my acne as well.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: FoBoT
doesn't matter for me, i keep my hair < 1"
i use the $0.97 bottle of suave from walmart

Same for me, except I occasionally use Head and Shoulders