Quality of CPU TypeAMD Turion II Dual-Core P520 2.3GHz?

rb_outdoors

Mar 4, 2010
Im looking at a laptop and this is the only part a friend of mine is POSSITIVE that it's garbage and won't last a year.

I've never heard of this bad press.

CPU Type: AMD Turion II Dual-Core P520 2.3GHz

aphelion02

Dec 26, 2010
That's nonsense. It may not have high performance, but there's nothing wrong with the chip itself. If there are any problems, it will be most likely due to any heating issues due to the laptop design. Take a look at the heating solution and see if the laptop becomes abnormally hot under load (run something like HW monitor if you can). There's nothing about that specific CPU that would make it less reliable.

If your friend tells you otherwise, make him produce a source. Most likely he is full of crap and you should not take his advice in the future.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
It is not the best around but definitely not garbage and will definitely last the lifetime of that laptop easily. That is almost as believable as someone saying that AMD runs hot and overheats which is totally untrue.

Even the AMD Llano will bring about great improvement to laptops and will definitely change the negative perception of many users about AMD. Your friend should be labeled as a 'fanboi'.

nanaki333

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2002
if you plan on doing video and audio encoding with a laptop, sure, i wouldn't bother with it. if you're doing that kind of stuff, most people would want a desktop anyway. nothing wrong with the amd processors in laptops. you wouldn't even notice a difference in day to day use, or even gaming.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
What are you planing on doing with the laptop?

I have a tx2500 tablet with a turion zm80 2.1 and it does just about everything I need it to do. Going on three years now with nary a problem. Its not the fastest processor out there, expecially from todays market standard, but for the right price it could be considered good enough.

Why not post up the system you are looking at and the price and see if we can find you a better value system.

Bearach

Dec 11, 2010
Im looking at a laptop and this is the only part a friend of mine is POSSITIVE that it's garbage and won't last a year.

I've never heard of this bad press.

CPU Type: AMD Turion II Dual-Core P520 2.3GHz

I'm sorry, but it seems your friend doesn't know totally what he/she is talking about.

That CPU has not been shown to have a higher failure rate, or anything bad regarding it's life expectancy.

What is the laptop and rest of the laptops specifications?

Last edited:

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
I'm positive your friend is full of crap.

Say what you want about the current crop of AMD cpu's, but failure rate isn't something you can ding them on.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Ill tell you how full of crap your friend is. If they were posting here instead of you, they would be banned as a troll.

As said, benchmarks aside, that cpu will live longer than the laptop, or its usefulness.

rb_outdoors

Mar 4, 2010
This is the full setup I'm looking at. I'm looking to get a new laptop that I can take around for school, at the library and I'm a fairly mobile person but I also want to be able to pull off playing some SC 2 at decent (I don't care about maxing all setting by any means) for a low price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&SID=u00000687

CPU TypeAMD Turion II Dual-Core P520 2.3GHz Screen15.6" Memory Size4GB DDR3 Hard Disk500GB Optical DriveDVD Super Multi Graphics CardATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 s CommunicationGigabit LAN and WLAN Dimensions14.88" x 9.65" x 1.21" - 1.37" Weight5.46 lbs. TechVISION Premium Technology CPU CPU TypeAMD Turion II Dual-Core CPU SpeedP520(2.3GHz) CPU L2 Cache2MB Display Screen Size15.6" Wide Screen SupportYes Resolution1366 x 768 LCD FeaturesHP BrightView LED Display Operating Systems Operating SystemWindows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Graphics GPU/VPUATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 s Graphic TypeDedicated Card Hard Drive HDD500GB HDD RPM5400rpm HDD InterfaceSATA Memory Memory4GB Memory Type204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM Memory Slot (Total)2 Max Memory Supported8GB

Thanks a ton for your posts, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with it now that I'm worried about the processor, my friend is a bit of a fanboi when it comes to technology. He was 100% sure my Sansa player would last 3 months but after 3 years, many falls and being in a sweat saturated pocket on long runs it's still going strong.

nanaki333

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2002
that laptop is a perfect all around laptop. the resolution could be higher, but it'll do everything you want and then some. the 5650 should be able to handle SC2 at it's max res though just fine. it IS a refurb, so you could end up getting one that looks like it's been through a war, or you could get one that looks practically brand new. soooooo... don't be surprised with the unit you actually get.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
cpus are very durable under proper use, other parts like hard drives and batteries will probably fail before the chip.

even IF it failed, even on laptops many have socketed cpus and can be replaced.

i upgraded my acer laptop from 1.2 GHZ athlon 64 x2 to 2.0 GHZ turion x2, the laptops stock cooling is actually inadequate and the cpu gets throttled under heavy load, bouncing between 90C to 70C, i have been using it everyday for 5 months under this kind of abuse and the cpu has not failed yet. o_O

otherwise 2.0 GHZ is plenty fast for me in casual use, web, youtube vids, office apps and my brokerage platform.

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
also, you will be able to upgrade the processor down the road too. to a N620, its 35w as opposed to 25w but it handle it no problem. and the n620 is 2.8ghz

clifford666

Nov 24, 2019
It's 2019 rn, almost 2020, and this cpu is still fully functional on my laptop, but it does get really noisy and hot (85+ C).
I tried to clean the dust but it's still loud. it's on an hp pavilion dv6-3010us

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
It's 2019 rn, almost 2020, and this cpu is still fully functional on my laptop, but it does get really noisy and hot (85+ C).
I tried to clean the dust but it's still loud. it's on an hp pavilion dv6-3010us
Probably need to reapply the thermal compound. Should be cool after that.

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
And what about your friend?