Discussion Quality laser mouse with >4 additional buttons?

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
I've been using the Gigabyte M6800 for a couple years, having to buy a new one every 8 months or so, as the plastic coating quickly wears out and causes my fingers to dry out. Tired of this subpar build quality, so I'm in the market for a new mouse. I tried the GM6880X, and it's a pile of shite with it's scroll wheel button being triggered by the left click button, as well as the optical sensor being very poor.

Now, I can't stand small mice. I need something that I can rest my hand on comfortably. Also, I'd much like to have more than two side buttons, as they're really limiting for Mordhau and keybinds in general.

I found the Redragon M908 IMPACT that has the same sleek design with no jutting edges, like the Gigabyte M6800. But there's various posts that say it's build quality is wank.

What are some good budget, large mice with many buttons? I'm not wanting to spend much more than £30, unless it's a mouse that will survive hardcore usage for years.

Last edited:

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Take a look at the logitech gaming mice. I like wireless mice, but the G series have both.The only issue you might have is that the G lights up.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
Take a look at the logitech gaming mice. I like wireless mice, but the G series have both.The only issue you might have is that the G lights up.

Wireless mice are horrid, I'll only go for wired. The only one that's not overpriced and has more than two buttons is the G300S, but the buttons are awkwardly placed at the side of the mouse click buttons rather than where your fingers normally rest. It's also got an optical sensor, which is a big minus. There is the G502, but it looks uncomfortably ridged, has an optical sensor, and it's £50. So they're out.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
For want you want, you are looking at 50 pounds at least. The pound is not what it once was. Heck, it's almost equal to the USD, ANd I can recall it being over $1.50 for 1 pound. I think you should get another M6800 until you can save more cash.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
For want you want, you are looking at 50 pounds at least. The pound is not what it once was. Heck, it's almost equal to the USD, ANd I can recall it being over $1.50 for 1 pound. I think you should get another M6800 until you can save more cash.

I've got the cash for it, it's just that a mouse with a couple more clicky things is not worth £35 more than the M6800. I've found the Marvo G990 that has a laser. I think I'll try the Redragon, see how it plays; looked at more reviews, and there's plenty saying it's a decent mouse.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
EVGA has some interesting mouse options, with RGB! Torqx or something. I had a few of them. They're nice when they're working, but I went through a few of them just a little too quickly.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
EVGA has some interesting mouse options, with RGB! Torqx or something. I had a few of them. They're nice when they're working, but I went through a few of them just a little too quickly.

They only have two buttons on the side. While they are ambidextrous, it's not stated whether they are independent from the buttons on the other side. And even then, it looks to be awkward to press buttons with your pinky or ring finger.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I have fairly big hands too, and I tend to use those EVGA mice more claw-grip style, but they're not uncomfortable (to me).

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
Sounds good! Be sure to let me know what you pick.

Got the mouse today. It's actually got a solid build quality. The plastic feels nicer than the G6800, the left and right click doesn't need as much force, it's as wide but it's got a lower slope so it doesn't angle your wrist as high. The right hand side of it has a ridge, so your fingers actually rest on top of the mouse rather than hang off the side. It's got 12 side buttons, and another button next to the left click. So thirteen buttons. My only gripe is that I don't like ridged mouse wheels, but it's not biting into my fingers, just not ma preferred thing.

For £30, it's a steal. 18 Month warranty as well

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
What model did you get?

It's the Redragon M901. There's another caveat I found; the software only allows you to bind the buttons to keyboard inputs, there's no way to bind them to actual mouse buttons (i.e, XButton 1, XButton 2, Button 4, Button 5, Button 6, Button 7). But it does support macros, so you can use modifier keys with them. Just takes a bit more effort with keybinds for games. Sent them an email asking about it.

Still, I'm not fussed. The popular brands wanted £100 for equivalent functionality, and sod that.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
Unfortunately, the mouse turned out to be fud. The scroll-wheel started grinding against the interior of the mouse about five days before Amazon's return window expired, and the side buttons were very awkward to push down. Initially, I thought it was just muscle memory stuff with the side buttons, but I eventually noticed that you have to get the angle right to push them down.

Returned it, so now I'm back on the prowl for a decent mouse with multiple side buttons.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Are you into gaming, and that's why you are against wireless? I just recently got the Logitech MX Master 3, and I love it. You might still be able to find the MX 2, and still fit your budget. It's wireless though.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
Are you into gaming, and that's why you are against wireless? I just recently got the Logitech MX Master 3, and I love it. You might still be able to find the MX 2, and still fit your budget. It's wireless though.

Wireless is a pain, I've no desire for having to faff about with charging it, and dealing with whatever latency the wireless stuff adds to it. I'll check those mice out though.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
Logitech MX518 is wired and has 8 programmable buttons.

It's only got two side buttons. Those 8 buttons are left click, right click, middle mouse button, upper DPI, lower DPI, default DPI, and the two side buttons. So it's a completely bog standard mouse.

I found the UtechSmart 24000DPI, which looks really intriguing. Bunch of buttons, which can be swapped out and replaced with different shapes and sizes.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
As an update, the UtechSmart has great side buttons. They're responsive, and are much easier to press. Best part? It comes with swap-out buttons, so you can customize it however you want. It's a wee bit thinner than The Gigabyte M6800, but just as long. The middle mouse button is a touch awkward since it's lower than you'd expect it to be, but that's just something you get used tae.