Quality advanced flashlight for cheap

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Chanced on a great review of this and ordered 3, received yesterday. I ordered from the manufacturer's website because they seemed to have the best deal by far:

Looking just now, it may be ~$40, but I ordered 3 for ~$100 (total) around Black Friday or so. Mine included the optional (but cheap at Wurkkos' site!) 21700 5000mah battery). So, yeah, slow shipping, I think there may have been a hiccup by the USPS on this.

The really good review that got me super interested:
Budget Awesome - Wurkkos TS21 [Review]

Another good review: https://zeroair.org/2021/10/12/wurkkos-ts21-anduril-flashlight-review/

I've bought many LED flashlights since they started coming out, I have literally dozens, but nothing like this. I keep an EDC on me at all times but just a single cell AAA, and finding ones that suit me has always been a challenge. And they usually develop some quirk or stop working, and I order more. This isn't really an EDC (although you could, but it's way bigger and heavier than the single cell AAA EDCs I always carry). It weighs 2.7oz, and with the battery about 5.3oz.

I've been aware that there are some fancy flashlights and there's quite a market for them, but never looked into it until I encountered LuxWad's review (linked above) which he mentioned in his review of the Xtar VC4 charger, which I bought about the same time I ordered the Wurkkos TS21 flashlights, but received around 2 weeks ago. Yesterday, I immediately fully charged the Wurkkos 21700 5000mah batteries in the Xtar charger.

The Wurkkos TS21 has some fancy firmware, the Anduril 2 version taking over (but if you want that instead of the Anduril 1 version, be careful to specify that if and when you order directly from Wurkkos). You don't have to use the fancy features. You can operate it very simply and intuitively without getting into the feature set. The included manual isn't just good for a Chinese designed, manufactured and delivered product, it's excellent for any manual. A nice compact print of it is included with the light, also a belt clip, lanyard and USB-C charging cable. You can charge the battery right in the light.

Last edited:

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
ok there was alot to read, does it take 1860 or aaa because i have a thing about aaa im kinda boycotting them. does it say it has a 21700 in it? just googled and the 21700 is some funky skinny battery with 5000mh which sounds good to me (except that i have loads of 1860's but i might grab one of these flashlights thanks> )

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
ok there was alot to read, does it take 1860 or aaa because i have a thing about aaa im kinda boycotting them. does it say it has a 21700 in it? just googled and the 21700 is some funky skinny battery with 5000mh which sounds good to me (except that i have loads of 1860's but i might grab one of these flashlights thanks> )
It takes a 21700, which is a little thicker in diameter than 18650 batteries. If you buy direct from Wurkkos website you have the option to have their Wurkkos 21700 5000mah battery included for about $4 extra, a no brainer, DO IT!

I have eight 18650 batteries, but I'm OK with these Wurkkos TS21's, I bought 3 for a total of about $100, each with a 21700 battery, seems to me a terrific deal. Shipping is apt to take a few weeks, though. Be prepared for that. You can probably get it a lot quicker from Amazon or probably other sites, but you'll pay more.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Did you watch the video in the OP above? It's really good.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Did you watch the video in the OP above? It's really good.
cant watch videos or click links but im in for one i think. have a slew of 1860's and some sealed tazer flashlights been using. i wonder what type of features they have .

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
LuxWad, the guy who did that video on the TS21 in the OP also recommends the Wurkkos FC11 (in the comments on the TS21) for a18650 flashlight that's simpler but excellent:

Reactions: killster1

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
You can often get a plastic tube that will allow you to use the 18650 battery in place of the 21700. I have a cheapo-flashlight that was a freebie from Liion wholesale that came with one, and both of my vape pens came with them.
similar to this:

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I use my Wurkkos flashlights (have 4) quite frequently. Only downside is hands free use isn't pleasant (holding in my teeth!). Because of that I still always have a truly EDC in my pocket (never a Wurkkos for that), a tiny single cell AAA (Eneloop). Between the teeth, it's adequate for my purpose 95+% of the time, plus it has 3 brightness levels, up to 120 lumens.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
To me, cheap on a LED flashlight is $10 or less, buys decent items with a little shopping. Search for Cree XML T6 18650, adjust for personal details.

EDC for me is a Olight AAA souped up with a 10400 LION battery, does get hot on high, but its pretty bright, and has both low and twilight (60 hrs).

A $10 head light (goes on your head) from Home Depot will change your hands free life. Mine is I think a Coast, hi, low, maybe strobe, but essential low red so you don't disturb others at night (don't lose night vision like you do with white).

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
To me, cheap on a LED flashlight is $10 or less, buys decent items with a little shopping. Search for Cree XML T6 18650, adjust for personal details.

EDC for me is a Olight AAA souped up with a 10400 LION battery, does get hot on high, but its pretty bright, and has both low and twilight (60 hrs).

A $10 head light (goes on your head) from Home Depot will change your hands free life. Mine is I think a Coast, hi, low, maybe strobe, but essential low red so you don't disturb others at night (don't lose night vision like you do with white).
Where do you get that 10400 LION battery?

Well, the Wurkkos I mentioned are pretty feature rich (especially the TS21 with its Anduril 2 firmware) if you're curious what what an advanced LED flashlight is about (I was). I confess, that so far what I'm into is the zoom up/down intensity features (from real low to real high and anywhere in between by holding down the button)

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
https://budgetlightforum.com full of good info, does tend to remove $$$ from your wallet.
I have something like a couple dozen AAA EDC's I've gotten over the years. One ITP A3 EOS stays in my pocket. Now I have two 18650 Wurkkos and two 21700 Wurkkos. I don't feel the need to get more flashlights. Aside from what I mentioned I have probably 10 or more double AA LED flashlights from maybe 15 years ago, sold by Costco. I have kept them, have one in my car, a couple hanging in the house and several in drawers, just in case. I use them occasionally. My house is 111 years old and the natural light sucks... not a lot of windows.

I have a head lamp but I'm more included to just use a single cell AAA EDC with a clip on it fastened to the bill of a baseball hat if I need hands free for more than a minute (for a minute I just put my EDC in my teeth). EDC on baseball cap is lighter and generally provides enough light.

wedding-guest

Feb 13, 2019
Today through Oct 1, 2022, the TS-21 flashlight is $27, or bundled with 21700 battery $31, at Wurkkos.com, with free standard shipping. I bought two bundles for $62, and for this price they include a Wurkkos baseball cap.
(edited to clarity that free cap requires $60 purchase)

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
:eek:

You feel safe in that house? No ghosts or anything? No supernatural activity? No sounds at night?
I'm not superstitious. I live alone now, when I moved in here there were 5 other people here (a lot of small rooms). For the next 17 years or so people came and went, probably close to 100. So, yeah, I shared this place with more people than I can remember but I never feel the place is haunted by any of them, much less by somebody who lived here before me. I have never had the experience of feeling any place was haunted. I'm grounded in science and have strong spiritual understanding, don't entertain crazy fantasies. I'm not really into those kinds of movies either. I respect Stephen King I guess but his work mostly bugs me. So, no problems thinking spirits inhabit this place.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Not even "The Conjuring"? It's good: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1457767/

Has two sequels now.

There's this too: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3811906/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_2

Pretty twisted fun.
Never heard of that stuff. Anyway, to be truthful, living alone in a 111 YO house does have some influence on what kind of movies I watch and it shouldn't take much imagination what I might not particularly lean toward. Now, my mother was aghast at violence in movies, period. I'm not like that but I'm aware that gratuitous violence can be reprehensible. I do appreciate a good or great movie that refrains from including some of the tropes that are so common, including violence or threats of violence and the tools those entail (guns, knives, what have you). But I watch and have watched tons of stuff and liked that my mother never would have.

Jul 27, 2020
Wake up just one time with sleep paralysis and all that don't believe in ghosts can go poof.
YES! I have recounted that here before. No matter what scientific explanation anyone gives, I FELT the actual weight of someone pushing down on me. My eyes were open. I tried with every single ounce of strength in my body to move. I could not. My brain was fully aware. I could only see straight ahead. Even my eyeballs couldn't move so I couldn't even see what was on my chest that was causing that feeling and then after almost 20 or 30 seconds of struggling like crazy in my mind, I was let go and I just got up like a dead person would suddenly rise from the grave. What's worse, I've been through this twice!

Jul 27, 2020
living alone in a 111 YO house
Isn't that a risk anyway? Do you want someone to target your house for a burglary, knowing that you live alone there? Or is that so far out in the wilderness that there isn't a soul for miles? Or do you have a high tech security system alerting you to the presence of anyone before they even know that you know they are coming?

Also, what about if, God forbid, you pass away suddenly? Does anyone know to come looking for you in case no one hears from you?