Quake Wars?

Cabages

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
I honestly dont know anything about this game, except that its kinda a follow up to wolfenstein ET. I should really watch some trailers.

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
It looks good. Battlefield 2-esque. It's not an EA game so we can hopefully count on it being a better coded game!

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Yeah Enemy Territory like, because it's not from the original Qauke developers, but from the Wolfenstein ET developers, using the Qauke franchise/brand to their advantage. Lot's of shooting, and lot's of different vehicles to cause LOT'S of destruction. More or less waiting for UT3 I think it's called too though.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Probably. Just hope it isn't as fast paced as Quake 4 and Wolfenstein (?): Enemy Territory. I can handle the speed, I just don't care for it given the 'team/tactical-ish' feel it's suppose to have.

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
Originally posted by: Imp
Probably. Just hope it isn't as fast paced as Quake 4 and Wolfenstein (?): Enemy Territory. I can handle the speed, I just don't care for it given the 'team/tactical-ish' feel it's suppose to have.

And I hope the opposite :)

RaptureMe

Jan 18, 2007
When is it coming out or is it out now??
I seen some screenies of the game a few months ago and thought it looked pretty cool.
Also is it Dx10 or Dx9?

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Yes.

And the release date is October. Though I'd be surprised it actually makes its deadline like any other highly anticipated game.

And it's likely going to be a DX9 game with a DX10 patch. I'd imagine a lot of the newer graphical advanced games are going to be like this for at least another year as every jumps on the Vista bandwagoon.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I was very interested in this game until I learned it was from the Wolfenstein ET guys. I never liked that game. I am hoping there will be a demo or beta to try before it actually comes out, so I can see whether it will be worth my $$.

KT

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I'd buy this game in a heartbeat if I was in the states. I'll be picking it up when I return!

HopJokey

Platinum Member
May 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Regs
Yes.

And the release date is October. Though I'd be surprised it actually makes its deadline like any other highly anticipated game.

And it's likely going to be a DX9 game with a DX10 patch. I'd imagine a lot of the newer graphical advanced games are going to be like this for at least another year as every jumps on the Vista bandwagoon.
I thought it uses the Doom 3 Engine which is OpenGL?

JonnyBlaze

Diamond Member
May 24, 2001
Originally posted by: HopJokey
Originally posted by: Regs
Yes.

I thought it uses the Doom 3 Engine which is OpenGL?

It does use the Doom3 Engine

regpfj

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2005
Originally posted by: RaptureMe
Also is it Dx10 or Dx9?

I think the answer is Doom3 based OpenGL with extensions to use hardware features built in to DX10 compliant graphics cards. I think. And, I don't know where the author of the last a article got his info, but it seems believable to me. Below are the sources for this opinion. The last link is, I think, the most illustrative.

(Edit) Back on topic: I'm getting it.

From Gamespot

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars Dev Diary #2: Advanced Games Technology (PC)
Splash Damage's Paul Wedgwood shares some insights on the technology being used for the upcoming Quake Wars.
By Paul Wedgwood | Sept. 6, 2006

(U)nlike Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory uses no existing game, engine or art assets... as a base.

From Shacknews.com

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars Q&A
-- April 28, 2006 by: Chris Remo

Shack: What, if anything, has gone into adapting the DOOM 3 engine for such huge environments? It's definitely out of character with most of the games based on the technology.

Paul Wedgwood: When we started working on the initial design with Kevin Cloud (Co-Owner of id Software), we knew that to evolve Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory?s game-play to the level we all wanted, we needed an engine that would support terrain rendering, multiplayer gaming and vehicle physics. It?s a great testament to id Software?s technology that Doom 3, which appears to be a single-player, indoor, first person shooter engine, could prove such a great foundation for this new genre.

Then, over at PCGamesHardware.de (google translation link) A news article citing a source I can't figure out:

DX10 under XP: 7 rear-Res-Shots of Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars (picture: Activision/Splash Damage)
29.05.2007 18:17 clock - the coming Enemy Territory: Quake Wars uses GL and engine of ID software abilities of current DX10-GPUs owing to open like the GF8800 also under Windows XP fully.

As the sieved cool Screenshots shows, the Shooter of Splash Damage needs to optically hardly hide itself behind other current plays and that, although owing to adjustment on Multi Player engagements surely rather the broad play barness also on middle class PCs as an absolute Top diagram in product requirement specifications of the developers. Particularly the landscape representation is to fail very in detail owing to ids Megatexturing technology and without boring repetitions in and the same texture do.

Becomes possible this by the use of so-called open GL Extensions: Extensions of the API, which can offer to each manufacturer and support in his drivers. These are in principle both platform and operating system independent. It thus actually plays no role whether you use Vista or XP, as long as the open GL driver of its diagram map a desired feature supports. Nvidia offers for example with the Extension ?GL_NV_gpu_program4? already for October last yearly a possibility of using the functionality of the Geometry Shaders apart of Windows Vista. The Geforce-8-Karten orders also the primary development platform of this title, there ETQW in the ?The way it's meant tons played? - program is.

AMDs drivers do not make the DX10 available appropriate functions up-to-date yet to want to supply later on demand confirmed AMD official one however, something similar in future driver release.
-Carsten of Spille

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Rage187
Multi player only.

so no

Last I read it was supposed to have bots, and by design they're going to be hard to tell from human players. That may just be hype, though.

Yeah, I might get it. It depends on the reviews. Also, I'm sort of freaked by the idea that earned upgrades aren't persistant from session to session. I'm to used to unlocks (2142) being available all the time once I earn them.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Skacer
Originally posted by: Imp

And I hope the opposite :)

How dare you contradict me;). Honestly, I'd like a TFC style speed variation between classes. That was pretty fast, but nowhere near as fast as the Quake games. Quake 4 and ET makes it look like everyone's hopped up on goofballs...