Quake Wars from Beta to Demo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: ethebubbeth
I picked it up for $38 at Fry's last night. Wow that was quick for them to unroll a 22mb 1.1 patch. For the most part I'm really pleased with the game.... I can crank everything on my X2 3800+ w/ 2gb ram and an 8800gts 640mb and still maintain 50-60fps in most scenarios. I'm upset that I still need to set the game to "single monitor performance" in the nvidia console to get more than 5-6fps though :(. One would think they'd resolve from the demo. Also bizarre that the game is locked at 30fps in single player regardless of your framerate unclocking configuration in the settings files.

However, technical nitpicking aside, I haven't had this much fun in an objective-based team shooter since the original Battlefield 1942!

there are unlock commands. check the ETQW forums, as im sure they will be there. some people here might not (not me)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: ty1er
Got any screen shots to post?
I can't speak for anyone else, but my screenshots don't seem to work. The actual 3D scenes are transparent. :confused:

My 7800GTX doesn't seem to be enough to handle ETQW at 1920x1200, which kind of sucks.

Stas

Dec 31, 2004
asking a 3 year old card to run a brand new game at 1080p is too much. I'm sure 8800GTX/Ultra can handle it.

Stas

Dec 31, 2004
Originally posted by: IHateMyJob2004
Originally posted by: thecrecarc
Originally posted by: IHateMyJob2004
I'm thinking of buying it for the single player only. Anyone else doing the single player? Opinions?

there is no single player...

I thought there were bots like in the demo? Do you mean that there is no progressive way to play single player? I'd like to play, win a map and move on. And go through all the maps this way. A sort of ladder system. This is not included?

Yes, you can play with bots. He prolly meant that there is no story line.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Stas
asking a 3 year old card to run a brand new game at 1080p is too much. I'm sure 8800GTX/Ultra can handle it.

Well, it's actually not horrible at 1920, I just can't play it on high. I've been stuck in 2005 as far as gaming goes. :p

The Ultra and GTX are still way too overpriced for me. nVidia is gouging the market and while legal, I'm certainly not going to reward them for it. They need to earn my $500.

Dec 21, 2006
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
I picked it up for $38 at Fry's last night. Wow that was quick for them to unroll a 22mb 1.1 patch. For the most part I'm really pleased with the game.... I can crank everything on my X2 3800+ w/ 2gb ram and an 8800gts 640mb and still maintain 50-60fps in most scenarios. I'm upset that I still need to set the game to "single monitor performance" in the nvidia console to get more than 5-6fps though :(. One would think they'd resolve from the demo. Also bizarre that the game is locked at 30fps in single player regardless of your framerate unclocking configuration in the settings files.

However, technical nitpicking aside, I haven't had this much fun in an objective-based team shooter since the original Battlefield 1942!

there are unlock commands. check the ETQW forums, as im sure they will be there. some people here might not (not me)

Drop the console with Ctrl + Alt + ~.
Enter:
seta com_unlockfps 1 (Unlocks FPS, should be set to 1 by default)
seta com_unlock_timingMethod 0 (Removes restrictions on rendering that tend to round FPS down to ~30)
seta com_unlock_maxFPS 60 (You can set this to whatever number you choose, however developers have mentioned that multiples of 30 tend to work best)

Hope this helps.

MrUniq

Mar 26, 2006
sounds like you are a candidate for geforce 9 ... I am too b/c my card is just a stopgap..and i needed more performance than my 7600gt. Are you playing on an HDTV or monitor. I have both(50") but I can't play with such a large picture.

Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Originally posted by: Stas

Well, it's actually not horrible at 1920, I just can't play it on high. I've been stuck in 2005 as far as gaming goes. :p

The Ultra and GTX are still way too overpriced for me. nVidia is gouging the market and while legal, I'm certainly not going to reward them for it. They need to earn my $500.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Just picked up 2 copies 4 hours ago, played through all the maps.

Definately a blast, i love this game.

My advice to anyone who dislikes it, get a group of friend to play the demo with you and work together before you judge it.

The game is team oriented, you cant run and gun. The game is far more dependant on working together to achieve the goals.

ty1er

May 14, 2004
Here is a great site that overviews the game, Quake Wars 4 Newbies

Welcome to Enemy Territory: Quake Wars 4 Newbies, the most extensive game guide available. We've got the insights, analysis, and data to help pound the learning curve flat and get your game on!

RZaakir

Sep 19, 2003
I'm upset that I still need to set the game to "single monitor performance" in the nvidia console to get more than 5-6fps though :(.

From what I've read this is an issue with how the Geforce cards handle OpenGL. My 8800 GTX requires the same thing for any iD (read: OpenGL-based) game.

RZaakir

Sep 19, 2003
So now that I've spent a week playing, the game is certifiably awesome. Once you get past the learning curve - which is higher than most shooters - there is so much to appreciate. It is an amazingly deep and balanced game. I LOVE the Pacific campaign.

My handle is WandererX if you want to kick some Strogg booty.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: MrUniq
sounds like you are a candidate for geforce 9 ... I am too b/c my card is just a stopgap..and i needed more performance than my 7600gt. Are you playing on an HDTV or monitor. I have both(50") but I can't play with such a large picture.

I have both too, but I mostly use my 24" LCD. I'm waiting on GeForce 9, I refuse to purchase an 8-series.

RZaakir

Sep 19, 2003
Suit yourself. My 8800GTX OC is a dream on my 24".

Though I will get a Geforce 9 if it's a much better performer.