Quake 4 just Freezes

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
I have Quake 4 with the 1.05 (beta) patch and the game just freezes out of nowere for no reason at all (well not true since all problems have their solutions). And also the SMP support is on since I have a dual core processor and It also freezes if I turn SMP support off too.
-------------------------------
Specs:
Opteron 175@2600mhz 1.4v (reading 1.42-1.46 in Speedfan) <-Primed for 6 hours and seemes stable. Don't know why it wouldn't be, not that big of an OC and I think the voltage is too high for that kind of an OC, but thats just me (I also think it's stable at 1.375 but I upped the voltage because of the instability in Quake 4.

Asus A8N32-SLI Mobo
X-fi Sound card
2gb OCZ@DDR520 3-3-2-8 <-Memtest stable for an hour. Small OC so I consider it stable.
Dual 7800GT's in SLI.
----------------------------------
I CONSIDER my Entire system stable because Quake 4 is the only game it froze on. Half-Life 2 hiccuped but then Quickly whent back to normal (my guess is half life incident is totally unrelated). Play RTW for Hours on it and that played fine. Half-Life 2 plays fine.

Am I the only person with this problem? Is it hardware or software related???

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
This happened to me in some games, and it turned out it was my anti-virus program that screwed everything up, so i'd look into that.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
Only one problem, I don't have my Anti-Virus installed yet.The only things in the system tray are Nvidias thing, usb connection thing, and the volume control.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
Are you using the EAX sound mode by any chance? That caused my system to have the craps.

Sep 29, 2004
Originally posted by: BFG10K
I assume you have tried everything at stock speeds?

Why people overclcok anyomore is beyond me. It made sense when people were struggling to get 30 fps at 640x480, but these days ... it's jsut stupid.

Anyways, I agree with your diagnosis.

PlasticJesus

Mar 16, 2001
I'd be curious as to how you are enabling and disabling your SMP support.

When I first started using the 1.05 (beta) my system would freeze when I enabled SMP support through the console. Once I created my own AutoExec.cfg and entered the SMP commands there, the problem immediately and completely went away.

When you disable it, are you sure it's becoming disabled?

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
When I enabled it I used the "set" command infront of it so that it would always stay on every time I started the game. Maby I should try using the AutoExec.cfg and try that.