Quadro4 XGL 900

Jul 5, 2002
Hey all. I'm thinking of dropping the cash for an nVidia Quadro4 XGL900! Seeing how quickly graphics cards move in the home user spectrum, I figure I'll be able to eek out a little more time with a graphics workstation quality card. But, simply put, will it do what I want? I watch a great deal of movies and play graphically intense games often. Can anyone who owns or has seen one of these in action attest to their performance? Thanks in advance

May 15, 2002
In my opinion, you'll be wasting your money. The core chip in the Quadro4 is the GeForce4. Minor modifications to the card and the drivers have been made to optimize the Quadro4 for workstation tasks -- but it doesn't sound like you plan to use it that way.

Save your money (hundreds of dollars!) and get a GeForce4 or ATI or Matrox card.

Just as an example -- the Gainward GeForce4 Ultra 750/XP is "equivalent" to the PNY Quadro4 900XGL. The Gainward card can be had for about $320 retail while the PNY card will cost at least $600 if you can get a good deal on eBay.

Jul 5, 2002
Thanks! I didn't really want to drop $1000 for a card if I didn't have to, but i still want to get the best possible video card. Are the differences between the two really that negliable? I'm partial to the GeForce line, but is there any other chipset I should keep my eyes on? Like that one that's on the Anandtech banners (I forgot what its called...sigh). Money's not really an option, so what shall I go for for the best possible performance overall? Thanks again
~Ronin

Edit: another Q

May 15, 2002
To get "the best possible video card" you have to think carefully about what you're going to use the card for. If your applications are mainstream, a mainstream video card will serve you well. If you are running CAD apps, you need a workstation card.

Here are some cards to be aware of:
3Dlabs Wildcat III 6210
3Dlabs Wildcat VP
ATI FireGL 4
ATI FireGL 8800
Matrox Parhelia
Gainward GeForce4 Ultra 750/XP
ATI Radeon 8500

Each has its strengths and weaknesses. For example, the Wildcat III card doesn't support DirectX. Matrox has fabulous image quality. Gainward supports dual DVI outputs. FireGL 4 is an AGP Pro-50 card.

My recommendation? Get a GeForce4 if you need a card right now, otherwise wait for the new release from ATI. The fact is that this technology is racing ahead VERY quickly, so anything you buy now will be out-of-date in a year.

render

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 1999
Considering the fact here I bought a Geforce4 Ti4200 for Maya. Not much difference between regular geforce4 and quadro4.

Quadro4 is great for 3DSMAX since it has its own Maxtreme driver, which boosts up to 500% of original Ti4400.

You have to consider which applications you are planning to run.