Quadro K4000 3GB vs. Quadro K600/K620 1GB

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
I looking at buy a new computer and was wonder if I should get the higher end K4000 graphic card or the K600 or K620?

I will be using the new computer for internet browsing/Youtube/Netflix video watching mostly and wanted to see if there is a huge performance gap between the two cards for this purpose.

If not a huge performance gap; just how much better is the K4000 for my use then the other cards mention here? Speed and rendering is important!

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
Both cards are a complete waste of money for basic purposes. Those are workstation graphics cards intended for GPU-accelerated work. For Netflix and YouTube, you'd have to watch 4k/UHD video to notice a difference between either of those and Intel integrated graphics. There's no difference whatsoever.

Now, are you actually using this machine for rendering work? If so, what kind of rendering?

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Techhog,

Just wanted a high end graphic card to get maximum performance out of the internet! Thanks for your reply!

I guess I am being silly but since it a new computer; I guess I just wanted to get the best performance.

I settled on 16GB RAM and 180 SSD! CPU is intel i7 4790K!

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
The integrated graphics of your i7 should be fine for what you described.

Hitman,

I was going to use the Intel HD 4600 but someone told me that this creates a lot of heat in my case because it taxes the CPU with the dedicated GPU inside; and a separate graphic card is better for the overall system.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Yep, having another dedicated card, even a low power one, will use more power and generate more heat in your system than using the integrated graphics. Your processor might run a little hotter with the gpu portion working too, but nothing to worry about, it's designed to work that way and again, the overall amount of heat in the system will be less.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
I have an older Lenovo ThinkCentre 58p with a Intel E8400 CPU inside that needs a graphic card since the GMA 4500 is to slow and the current card inside is about 2 years old too! It has 8GB RAM and 250 GB SSD inside. 280W PS!

Can I use the Quadro K620 inside the ThinkCentre? What will happen to the internet browsing experience with 2Gb RAM and speedier GPU?

Will the performance be double that of the existing card - AMD Radeon 6570 with 1GB?

Just trying out stuff theorically, in the hopes to improve my internet browsing and viewing and maybe not buy a new computer!

Also, will Windows 8.1 IE be faster then the Windows 7 Ultimate Pro IE?

Will my 280w power supply be okay?

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
Techhog,

Just wanted a high end graphic card to get maximum performance out of the internet! Thanks for your reply!

I guess I am being silly but since it a new computer; I guess I just wanted to get the best performance.

I settled on 16GB RAM and 180 SSD! CPU is intel i7 4790K!

Drop the graphics card, maybe even drop to an i5 and 8GB RAM, and get a bigger SSD. Heck, if you have that much money to blow, you could get a PCI-e SSD and get blazing performance! :D

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
I have an older Lenovo ThinkCentre 58p with a Intel E8400 CPU inside that needs a graphic card since the GMA 4500 is to slow and the current card inside is about 2 years old too! It has 8GB RAM and 250 GB SSD inside. 280W PS!

Can I use the Quadro K620 inside the ThinkCentre? What will happen to the internet browsing experience with 2Gb RAM and speedier GPU?

Will the performance be double that of the existing card - AMD Radeon 6570 with 1GB?

Just trying out stuff theorically, in the hopes to improve my internet browsing and viewing and maybe not buy a new computer!

Also, will Windows 8.1 IE be faster then the Windows 7 Ultimate Pro IE?

Will my 280w power supply be okay?

That card will be faster than the integrated graphics, but you could just reuse the card. You won't notice a difference. If you'd like options fr some light gaming, you could get a GTX 750 Ti or an R9 270

If that PSU is old or an OEM PSU, you should replace it. Go for 250-300W if you stick with integrated graphics, 300-350W if you get the 750 Ti, or 350-450W if you get the R9 270. Also, stop using IE. Please.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Thanks, Techhog! I did not realize that a PCI-e SSD was faster then a SATA! I guess, I going to buy a new computer but will wait till the new CPUs come out and DDR4 is cheap! Maybe the holidays??? LOL!

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
Thanks, Techhog! I did not realize that a PCI-e SSD was faster then a SATA! I guess, I going to buy a new computer but will wait till the new CPUs come out and DDR4 is cheap! Maybe the holidays??? LOL!

Waiting sounds good. DDR4 is mostly for lower power, though. It's up to you. Also, I was only about half-serious. PCI-e drives can be more than 2x as fast as SATA SSDs, but that might not even be noticeable in a lot of cases. The benchmarks are great for bragging rights, though! :D

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
I got computer fever so I going probably be buying a new computer in the next week or two! I just want to get something that I don't have to monkey around with for a three year or so.

I usually replace the graphic card by now to update the equipment with the technology. But computers have gone down so much it kind of foolish to keep on upgrading components and not do a whole new computer for under $1,500.00!

I remember always my first computer - Compaq 286 Deskpro that weighed 60 lbs. and had 10MB hard drive, 256MB RAM and duel 5 1/4" floppy drives - for $9K - on sale too from Computerland! LOL!

So $1,500 seems like a give away to me; since real time dollars now are probably $30K figure or more!

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
I got computer fever so I going probably be buying a new computer in the next week or two! I just want to get something that I don't have to monkey around with for a three year or so.

I usually replace the graphic card by now to update the equipment with the technology. But computers have gone down so much it kind of foolish to keep on upgrading components and not do a whole new computer for under $1,500.00!

I remember always my first computer - Compaq 286 Deskpro that weighed 60 lbs. and had 10MB hard drive, 256MB RAM and duel 5 1/4" floppy drives - for $9K - on sale too from Computerland! LOL!

So $1,500 seems like a give away to me; since real time dollars now are probably $30K figure or more!

Your needs could be met by a $200 laptop, though. At the very least look into becoming a gamer if you must spend that much! :p

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Your needs could be met by a $200 laptop, though. At the very least look into becoming a gamer if you must spend that much! :p

Gamer? I only buy IBM/Lenovo gear! Will the K4000 have the right drivers for gaming software? LOL!

Thinkstation P300 is my choice. Try to buy it cheap but high end! Sad that Lenovo only offers low capacity SSD and charges 3X that of Newegg for the same models. Intel 180 and 240GB drives along with a 256 SSD. No 512GB drives either. You have to upgrade to the P500 to get these drives! LOL! By the way the P500 weighs in at 50 lbs.; same as my old Compaq 286 Deskpro! So, I going skip it since it kind of big too!