QR code lookup using phone's camera to launch a website

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I've got the TV news paused right now. The anchor said you "can point your phone's camera at the QR code in the bottom left corner and our page will launch." It's a map of Northern California showing where power outages are expected the next few days. I can look up my address.

I am using my Alcatel Idol 4S Windows 10 phone, airplane mode is off, I tried even launching Edge. I pointed the camera at close range at the code, nothing happened. I took a close range picture. Nothing happens. I brought the image to the display... nothing happens. It is supported by Windows Phone 10, right? What am I doing wrong? Yeah, I can go right to their website using this computer, but I wanted to try out the QR code technology. It should come in handy in many ways.

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I've got the TV news paused right now. The anchor said you "can point your phone's camera at the QR code in the bottom left corner and our page will launch." It's a map of Northern California showing where power outages are expected the next few days. I can look up my address.

I am using my Alcatel Idol 4S Windows 10 phone, airplane mode is off, I tried even launching Edge. I pointed the camera at close range at the code, nothing happened. I took a close range picture. Nothing happens. I brought the image to the display... nothing happens. It is supported by Windows Phone 10, right? What am I doing wrong? Yeah, I can go right to their website using this computer, but I wanted to try out the QR code technology. It should come in handy in many ways.
You need an app that can read them.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Damn... the anchor didn't say that. Thanks!

Uh, what would you call such an app? It's not a bar code reader... QR code reader? I'll try that.
I did that and installed QR Reader for Windows 10. It doesn't appear to be capable of evaluating a QR Code that I've already scanned. I could work around that by printing it out and showing it to the app through the camera, but won't bother.

Feb 4, 2009
I loved windows phones but that is your problem.
All development has halted for windows phones, I’m skeptical you’ll even find an app to read barcodes that still works unpatched.
Sad, I really liked my windows phones.

Any android or iPhone can just take a picture of the qr code and go wherever it need ps to go. Which I am sure is a security nightmare.

Also when you replace your windows phone you will be shocked how many mobile web ads there are.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I loved windows phones but that is your problem.
All development has halted for windows phones, I’m skeptical you’ll even find an app to read barcodes that still works unpatched.
Sad, I really liked my windows phones.

Any android or iPhone can just take a picture of the qr code and go wherever it need ps to go. Which I am sure is a security nightmare.

Also when you replace your windows phone you will be shocked how many mobile web ads there are.
You mean my beautiful phone landscape will be filled with weeds when I go Android? Ah... well, this is for sure my last Windows phone, so that day is coming. Meantime, it makes calls, has a slew of apps that still work (well, when I last used them), some don't work. I'm not a guy with his nose in his phone all day. I'm not very concerned. When I need to go Android I'll research buying a new phone. I actually have 3 Android cheapies (~$30 each) that I bought to control my Roku TVs, but have found I like using the TVs' remotes after all for that. I use them around the house to check the weather, is about all (using Wifi, of course, they aren't activated).

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I’m skeptical you’ll even find an app to read barcodes that still works unpatched.
I do have a barcode reading app on my Windows 10 phone. I haven't used it lately, not sure I ever have, actually. I should try it. Don't know what will happen!!! Of course, I have barcodes around the house...

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I do have a barcode reading app on my Windows 10 phone. I haven't used it lately, not sure I ever have, actually. I should try it. Don't know what will happen!!! Of course, I have barcodes around the house...
Didn't work on a 15 year old paperback but did work on a ~$5 product box bought at Home Depot a month or so ago.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Again I loved the windows phone OS. Affordable and effective.
As of today it is a dead platform.
This is the prevalent opinion. Sad that it died this way. App death, evidently. App developers would rather develop for iPhones or Android phones, not worth bothering with MS. Anyway, guess I don't know what I'm missing right now. Hopefully, when I go Android I'll enjoy a technical renaissance. Meantime, I still find it amazing what I can do with it. IIRC, MS is withdrawing support and the end of this year... think I heard something to that effect.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I initially bought a Windows Phone (my first smart phone) just for the offline GPS support. I had actually bought a dedicated GPS device at Costco for IIRC over $100? I never opened it and returned it for a refund after people here (Rossman) clued me in that a $60 Lumia Windows Phone would do the job. My current Idol 4S is doing a good job at GPS, didn't at first, but works fine now. Went on a multi-destination shopping trip a couple weeks ago and it was terrific.

Feb 4, 2009
This is the prevalent opinion. Sad that it died this way. App death, evidently. App developers would rather develop for iPhones or Android phones, not worth bothering with MS. Anyway, guess I don't know what I'm missing right now. Hopefully, when I go Android I'll enjoy a technical renaissance. Meantime, I still find it amazing what I can do with it. IIRC, MS is withdrawing support and the end of this year... think I heard something to that effect.
It’s more than that, Microsoft has it on life support once the guaranteed support date passes they will no longer issue update or patches. Zero reason for anyone develop apps for something that has 0.00001% of the market (I’m not exaggerating with that market share claim) and will soon be unsupported.
I really hated giving up my windows phones, I liked them a lot but the sad truth was I needed two apps for work stuff and both stopped getting updates then stopped working shortly after.

Strange thing about windows mobile it is absolutely the best at protecting your privacy.
Some of that was due to the fact it never had much marketshare and the little bit of marketshare it had was cheap mofos like you & I or kids or people in 3rd world countries.

Reactions: Muse
Feb 4, 2009
I initially bought a Windows Phone (my first smart phone) just for the offline GPS support. I had actually bought a dedicated GPS device at Costco for IIRC over $100? I never opened it and returned it for a refund after people here (Rossman) clued me in that a $60 Lumia Windows Phone would do the job. My current Idol 4S is doing a good job at GPS, didn't at first, but works fine now. Went on a multi-destination shopping trip a couple weeks ago and it was terrific.
Agreed the gps was awesome
Being able to store local maps was even better. I hate how I need service to use my iphones gps.
The directions will continue provided you don’t close it even when it doesn’t have service but I find it a major pain in the ass to not be able to use gps if I’m parked in an underground garage or way out in the woods. Super frustrating to have to drive around to find service then start the directions.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Strange thing about windows mobile it is absolutely the best at protecting your privacy.
Some of that was due to the fact it never had much marketshare and the little bit of marketshare it had was cheap mofos like you & I or kids or people in 3rd world countries.
Yeah, when I got my first, a Nokia Lumia 520 for $60, I thought "what a deal!" Then I upgraded to a Lumia 640 for $30! $30! OMG! Eventually had a serious issue with that (IIRC headphone jack stopped working), posted here and people said grab the Alcatel IDOL 4S, on special at MS Store for ~$100, a high end phone at a bargain basement price. That's my activated phone right now, although I still have the others, which I can use on Wifi, but more importantly as offline GPS. I keep one in my car in case I don't have my Alcatel (I really am not wedded to a cell phone). That Alcatel is pretty handsome. Youtube videos are gorgeous (when I bother) and the sound is stellar, phones OR speakers.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Agreed the gps was awesome
Being able to store local maps was even better. I hate how I need service to use my iphones gps.
The directions will continue provided you don’t close it even when it doesn’t have service but I find it a major pain in the ass to not be able to use gps if I’m parked in an underground garage or way out in the woods. Super frustrating to have to drive around to find service then start the directions.
Yeah, just carry one of your Windows phones for that! Offline GPS still works if you've downloaded the maps. Keep in your car.