Q9650 on P5Q Overclocking issue

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Auto voltages aren't a good thing, as a number of them actually heavily overvolt.

If you'd only been running vcore & vdimm manually before, you were actually running a bunch of the others much higher than you think.

See here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com...erboard-review-14.html

Auto doesn't mean lowest voltages; in your case, it meant you'd been running significantly increased voltages (some way too high) pretty much across the board.
You just didn't know it.

Hyonie

Jul 19, 2003
Phew, how is that UD3P working out for you? Any better luck on raising the FSB?

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: ashishmishra
The additional GTL settings are not on the P5Q Pro either, looks like only the deluxe version has those.
Are you sure about that? I have a Pro too, now whilst I don't exactly remember what's in the bios off the top of my head I do know that when I updated the bios from 0506 to 1613 I gained a load of voltages I could tweak, including ones saying GTL ref.

(Btw I haven't had time yet to read the rest of the thread yet, so 'scuse me if this has been answered ;))

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
Originally posted by: spathotan
Put the NB to 1.25, left GTL on auto, 445FSB, LLC, 1.3v vcore, FSB term at 1.25v. It booted into windows but close to everything was failing left and right, coretemp failed to init, MSNmessenger failed to init, remote admin service which is disabled failed to init, blah blah....basically it was obvious it was unstable at the least. Went to restart and bam, black screen forever, ended up having to clear the CMOS and its good now. First time ive had to do that, I thought I killed the motherboard. Ive never EVER changed any voltage other than DRAM and vcore, my Q6600 ran fine at 3.6ghz on this board with nothing but a vcore change.....

Its at 3.6ghz now at 1.25v and running fine, I think im gonna keep it here at least for now, im too spooked right now. I dont think im cut out for this high 3.8ghz+ overclocking :(

Also, sorry for the thread hijack.

Now you'd be very lucky to have it running at those volts. I can't get close to 440 FSB with NB lower than 1,31 and the FSB VTT@1,3.

I need 1,35 on the NB and a 1,36 FSB VTT to get it running at that speed and the NB temps are 48-52c. I'd be surprised if you could get it to run @ 445 with those figures, it'd be too much difference.

abirdie4me

Feb 4, 2009
Originally posted by: n7
It's all in the GTLs.
Namely, your VTT (FSB Termination) + GTLs & NB + GTL voltages/settings.

Here's what i posted in another thread.
These got me to 465 FSB rock stable.
I basically couldn't get stable over 440-450ish until i got the GTLs figured out.

Obviously, results will vary for different people, but i'll post the voltages that i ran for 3.95 GHz on my P5Q-D
I tried many other peoples' without success, likely partially because i run four DIMMs not two.

These may be helpful if you decide to go higher, or they may not be.

8.5x465 (3.95 GHz w/ 8 GB P95 Blend/IBT max RAM stable) settings

CPU Voltage: 1.4
CPU GTL Voltage Reference(0/2): 0.68x
CPU GTL Voltage Reference(1/3): 0.68x
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.58
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.34
DRAM Voltage: 1.96 (P5Qs overvolt by 0.08v, so apply lower than desired vDIMM accordingly)
NB Voltage: 1.36
NB GTL Reference: 0.67x
SB Voltage: Auto
PCIE SATA Voltage: Auto

Load-Line Calibration: Enabled
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU Clock Skew: 100
NB Clock Skew: 200

Thanks n7! I've been struggling to get my Q9650 prime95 blend stable on my P5Q-D for the last week. Made the GTL changes you suggested and it blended all night at 4.05 ghz! Increased FSB to 465 this morning for 4.185ghz and it has been blending for the last 5 hours with no issues. I'm running @ 1.25 vcore, I got a nice chip with a 1.16 VID.

Phew

May 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Hyonie
Phew, how is that UD3P working out for you? Any better luck on raising the FSB?

Just came in today, but it might be a while before I have a chance to test it out (doing some case mods while I am swapping mobos).

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: abirdie4me
Thanks n7! I've been struggling to get my Q9650 prime95 blend stable on my P5Q-D for the last week. Made the GTL changes you suggested and it blended all night at 4.05 ghz! Increased FSB to 465 this morning for 4.185ghz and it has been blending for the last 5 hours with no issues. I'm running @ 1.25 vcore, I got a nice chip with a 1.16 VID.

Hah...glad they worked for someone.
No one's settings worked for me; i had to work those out on my own, so i'm glad they've helped someone other than just me :p

abirdie4me

Feb 4, 2009
Temperatures are running around 72, 68, 64, 68 during prime95 torture test with my vcore set at 1.3. I'm under a lapped TRUE with a scythe 21F blowing full speed and these temps seem a little high to me. How do you guys apply your TIM on the Q9650? I've always used the plastic sandwich bag on the finger trick to dab AS5 evenly across the cpu, but maybe I'm getting too much on there? Do you think lapping the cpu would help much?

What temps are you guys running at similar voltage?

Sorry if this is too far off topic.

spathotan

Jun 4, 2008
I settled on 3.8ghz, its completely stable. 1.28vcore, 1.2NB, 1.54PLL, GTL on auto, 1:1 RAM @ 846mhz which might be a little slow, I might break it out of 1:1.

My temps idle in a 23c room are 35/35/30/29, I use an Enzotech Extreme-X with a XIGMATEK XLF fan, they are only 61CFM but extremely quiet and look awesome :D. Oh and I use IC Diamond for my paste, I just use the blob in the middle method.

ashishmishra

Nov 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Assimilator1
The additional GTL settings are not on the P5Q Pro either, looks like only the deluxe version has those.
Are you sure about that? I have a Pro too, now whilst I don't excatly remember what's in the bios off the top of my head I do know that when I updated the bios from 0506 to 1613 I gained a load of voltages I could tweak, including ones saying GTL ref.

(Btw I haven't had time yet to read the rest of the thread yet, so 'scuse me if this has been answered ;))

Interesting, can you adjust GTL's for Core0/1 & Core 2/3 individually? I just have 1 CPU GTL setting currently at max of .65x If this is different of your BIOS version please let me know so I can update mine. Thanks :beer:

Phew

May 19, 2004
OK, got the UD3P up and running. Priming at 467 FSB right now, without even touching GTL reference values. This board means business!

Looks like I'll be CPU voltage/cooling limited now, as overclocking should be.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Phew
OK, got the UD3P up and running. Priming at 467 FSB right now, without even touching GTL reference values. This board means business!

Looks like I'll be CPU voltage/cooling limited now, as overclocking should be.

:thumbsup:

Make sure it's Large FFTs (or Blend) you use to stress the board.

Small will run perfectly as long as the CPU is stable, but is useless for testing overall stability.

Just be aware on your UD3: PLL voltage gets set really high if you use auto, as does VTT; you can check these with ET6.

I don't have my UD3P anymore, but i'm really curious what settings you find work out for you, especially since you have 8 GB.

Keep us updated :)

Phew

May 19, 2004
I'm staying at 9x445 for now, since CPU load temps head past 70C if I go any higher. My voltages are: (not optimized yet, just copied from some guy on XS with a similar setup)

Vcore-1.3625 (1.328 actual under load...this board does Vdroop alot more than the ASUS)
VTT-1.36
PLL-1.57
NB-1.40
DRAM-2.08

LLC on. All the GTLs and whatnot are still auto.

There are some quirks with the RAM, for sure. It defaults to 5-7-7-20 timings, and any attempt to tighten them results in a failure to POST. In fact, every time I mess with the RAM settings at all, everything goes haywire and the BIOS resets to defaults. Maybe I'll mess around with the RAM settings some more next week. How much do loose timings really hurt real-world performance?

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Eh not hugely, but 5-7-7 is just silly IMO :p

What strap?
2.00B or 2.00D?

I used LLC; i can't stand vdroop...

That board most definitely does funny thing on auto.
I'd set settings manually to exactly what ET6 said they were on auto, & then things would indeed go berserk on what was exactly the same as auto...or so you'd think.
Obviously there's crap being set somehow differently on auto that we cannot modify manually, a pet peeve i've had with numerous boards now.

Phew

May 19, 2004
2.00B strap, so the RAM is only running at 890 MHz, you'd think it could do stock timings so far below stock speed. You are right about the auto settings; there are several RAM parameters that cause a failure to POST when they are manually set to the same value auto is using. Crazy!

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Are you sure about that? I have a Pro too, now whilst I don't excatly remember what's in the bios off the top of my head I do know that when I updated the bios from 0506 to 1613 I gained a load of voltages I could tweak, including ones saying GTL ref.

Interesting, can you adjust GTL's for Core0/1 & Core 2/3 individually? I just have 1 CPU GTL setting currently at max of .65x If this is different of your BIOS version please let me know so I can update mine. Thanks :beer:
Opps forgot about this :eek:, if I don't post back latter PM me to remind me ;).

gummi467

Aug 30, 2004
Lol, Phew. I finally got my UD3P in today and I'll be assembling my whole rig this weekend. I'll let you know how your E8400 works out in it :) Glad to hear you've finally gotten your Q9650 squared away, I felt kinda bad reading your first few posts about how you shouldn't have sold your dual core. Take care man.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Looks like I should think about buying a UD3P or two.

I wonder how my DFI X48 LP LT T2R boards handle a Q9650. I bought them six months ago, before the UD3P boards came out, they cost me $260 each. :( :( :(

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999

Opps forgot about this :eek:, if I don't post back latter PM me to remind me ;).
Darn, well I was wrong, only extra bios setting are the following :-

CPU GTL ref.
CPU clock skew
NB clock skew
CPU margin enhancement

And I have no idea what any of those do!:confused:, anyone know?, especially the last one.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Sounds like Asus really crippled everything but the Deluxe/Premium.

Have you tried Ket's modded BIOSes from XS though for your Pro?
He may have added those missing options.

ashishmishra

Nov 23, 2005
Thanks Assimilator1 for looking that up.

n7: I am running Ket's modded bios ver. 1406, I'll try the later versions and report back if it adds those settings.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Sounds like Asus really crippled everything but the Deluxe/Premium.

Have you tried Ket's modded BIOSes from XS though for your Pro?
He may have added those missing options.
No I haven't yet, though I'd read about them I had forgotten about it :eek:.

Do you know what the extra options I posted above mean?

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
You should easily get well over 4GHz on that UD3P and a Q9650 with good cooling. I've got my Q9550 to 4Ghz stable on air.