Q9450 question

JK949

Jul 6, 2003
I bought a Q9450 to replace my 6600. First thing I noticed was all the programs I used
to monitor the core heat temps telling me it was running, on average of the 4 cores, at
65c at idle. This is with a very good after market cooler and properly applied AS5.
Good air flow in the case and 72 degree room temp. My 6600 idled at 40c overclocked
to around the same speed as the 9450. I have since learned about the sensor problem
with this core and set up a case # and the RMA has been approved.
Here is the hard question. What are my odds of receiving a replacement with good
sensors. An Intel Tech confirmed over the phone that they have been swamped
with inquiries about this problem. I asked him how they would know / confirm that
the replacement being sent was not defective. His answer was they wouldn't.

To RMA and cross my fingers or not waste the $10 it will cost me.

Nov 26, 2005
does the mobo support the cpu and also check and see if your bios is up to date ... the bios info will also tell you if the cpu is supported...

ShadowFlareX

May 6, 2008
The temp sensor problem on the 45nm chips is that there's hardly any temp difference between idle and load, that's when you can suspect you have temp sensor problem.

I know Core Temp and OCCT use TJMax of 105C, when I switched from Q6600 B3 to Q9450, my Core Temp and OCCT readings jumped 10C hotter. Turns out there are opinions floating around that Q9450 TJMax should be 95C. After setting my Core Temp to TJMax of 95C, temps were looking alot like my Q6600.

This was my old post regarding the issue.

But to see that you actually have 25C difference from your Q6600, you may want to try reseating your CPU cooler, you may have applied too much AS5.

Try using Real Temp to read your temps.

JK949

Jul 6, 2003
I have the latest bios and my P5D-D board does support 45nm cpu's including my
9450. My Zalman heatsink is mounted properly and with the correct amount of
AS5. I'm using an Antec 900 case with excellent air flow. It's 9:28 am right now
and RealTemp, SpeedFan and PCWizard are all showing 65c average core temps.
Every program I have tried reports the same temps, except for CoreTemp, which
reports about 5c higher. Are there any other programs I should give a try ?

ShadowFlareX

May 6, 2008
If 4 temp apps give similar readings, there's no point looking for another app. If you have reseated the Zalman with the correct amount of AS5, and still getting the same reading, then I guess you can RMA it. How's the BIOS reading your CPU temp?