Q6600 Overclocking help

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Bare in mind, I'm in the middle of the term and I'm a little short on time so I haven't had a ton of stress testing time. It's been pretty quick and dirty to this point and when I say a particular configuration is "stable" that usually means it could pass roughly an hour or so of prime/memtest/superPI, etc.

So here's a quick overview.

1.) Was able to do 377x9 at, iirc, 1.33v actual. No amount of voltage (I took it all the way up to 1.42 actual) would get it to pass more than a few minutes of prime at any higher fsb than that. I could boot into Windows and play around all the way up to 415x9 (didn't try any higher) but any stress testing would fail. By fail I mean either a BSOD or a hard lock.

2.) After that I memtested the ram and it's not an issue. I've ran several passes of Memtest at ram speeds higher than what I'm attempting here with zero problems. While it's true that several passes is a little low all the instability I've been having has occurred within minutes so I really doubt ram is the problem.

3.) To take the board itself out of the equation I dropped the multi down to 7 and cranked the FSB up to 450. Ran a few hours of prime with no problems at all so I doubt it's the board.

4.) Just out of curiosity tonight I tried 8x450 and primed it for about an hour. The computer never locked up but 1 core failed after 18 minutes. I then tried 445x8 and got a BSOD after about 2 minutes.

5) I'm getting pretty bad vdroop on the vcore (.02-.04) but all the rails read as rock stable for whatever that's worth. I'll try to dig out my multimeter tomorrow and get some real readings.

System specs are:
Q6600 GO
Abit IP35-Pro
4 GB (2x2) Crucial PC6400
Nvidia 8600 GT
2 x HDD
1 Optical

Temps @ 20C ambient
CPU = 26C idle - 52C load
NB = 26C idle - 31C load
PWM = 43C idle - roughly 60c load

Bios settings:
MCH 1.25V = 1.37
CPU VTT = 1.23
ICH 1.05 = 1.09
ICHIO 1.5 = 1.60
DDR2 = 2.025
DDR2 REF = 0%
CPU GTLREF = 67% (WTH is this btw? I can't find any good answers)