Q3 2008 JPR marketshare results

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
The big shifts tend to be in Q4 with all of the Christmas sales, I believe.

rjc

Sep 27, 2007
Originally posted by: nRollo
No radical shifts in the market.

Notebook sales up 40% in one quarter is not radical?...soon your kids will start getting beaten up at school if they don't have a netbook(they mightn't have much computing power, but it sure hurts to get hit by one)

Good timing for nvidia with their integrated notebook chipset.

FWIW Original is here

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Even with the bad PR of GT200 launch nV only loses 3%?

I guess the 30% drop in price really did help them stem the tide, even if it alienated some partners for a month or so.

I cant wait for the next round from nV and AMD.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: rjc

Notebook sales up 40% in one quarter is not radical?...soon your kids will start getting beaten up at school if they don't have a netbook(they mightn't have much computing power, but it sure hurts to get hit by one)

FWIW Original is here

I was referring to overall marketshares, some had speculated their would be big changes based on a variety of factors.

Janooo

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2005

FWIW Original is here

I was referring to overall marketshares, some had speculated their would be big changes based on a variety of factors.

NV had 13.3% lead over AMD in Q2. Now it's only 7.2% in Q3. NV lost 45.9% of the lead. If the trend continues then they'll have about equal overall market share after Q4.
What would you consider radical if 46% is not?

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Wow, that is an interesting way to look at it.

I guess if company A has 19.9% while company B has 20% for one quarter and then next quarter A has 20.2% and B has 20% you would consider that a 300% marketshare change?

Seriously, that makes no sense at all ;)

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Janooo

FWIW Original is here

NV had 13.3% lead over AMD in Q2. Now it's only 7.2% in Q3. NV lost 45.9% of the lead. If the trend continues then they'll have about equal overall market share after Q4.
What would you consider radical if 46% is not?

No need to turn it into a NV vs. AMD financial competition. It's just an overall glimpse of the market right now.

Janooo

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2005
Originally posted by: BenSkywalker
Wow, that is an interesting way to look at it.

I guess if company A has 19.9% while company B has 20% for one quarter and then next quarter A has 20.2% and B has 20% you would consider that a 300% marketshare change?

Seriously, that makes no sense at all ;)

Fair enough. But consider this: NV and AMD have about 50% of the market in shipments but it is maybe 75% or more in terms of money. That's the reason why a change between NV and AMD is more interesting.
The money ratio will change once Larrabee is out.

Pantalaimon

Feb 6, 2006
Originally posted by: Wreckage

A lot of people thought the 4xxx series would be AMD's savior. The good news is the 4850 was the best selling card last quarter, however NVIDIA took 7 of the top 10 spots.

http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/15791

And none of those 7 are GT200 cards, but older generation cards, unless you consider the 9xxx new generation cards.

toslat

Jul 26, 2007
The figures are nice both don't give enough insight. To evaluate the impact of the 4800 vs the gt200 would require figures for the discrete desktop graphics market.

I think the overall market share figures arel be dominated by IG on desktops and notebooks.

I do suspect though that any gains by AMD in overall market share will be mainly due to the 4800 as I dont think they are doing so well on other fronts.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
If you look at this link: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10075631-64.html you'll see AMD gained 3% marketshare, and nVidia lost 2.8%. That's not radical, but it is significant. As far as I can make out, Nvidia is on a obvious downwards trend, whereas AMD is on a more less equal/upwards trend. AMD should get out their lower-end videocards like the 4830 and 4670 faster next time ... All in all I think AMD performed pretty well with their 4x00 series, and about damn time they did ...

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: ViRGE
The big shifts tend to be in Q4 with all of the Christmas sales, I believe.

Usually, last we heard NVIDIA is coming out with actual 270s and 290s.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005

A lot of people thought the 4xxx series would be AMD's savior. The good news is the 4850 was the best selling card last quarter, however NVIDIA took 7 of the top 10 spots.

http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/15791

That's only for ONE month. ATI gained 2.5% in graphics marketshare and 55% in total sales in Q3 over Q2 2008 and that definitely has something to do with the 4XXX series. It wasn't AMDs saviour but it definitely didn't hinder the company.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
As far as I can make out, Nvidia is on a obvious downwards trend, whereas AMD is on a more less equal/upwards trend.

1Q is an obvious trend- I have to hear an explenation of this, seriously. Unless you are very narrowly restricting your comments to notebook GPUs prior to the new Apple contract then I don't see how you can see a trend forming on 1Q worth of data.

Here is a 4 year breakout. In that timeframe, ATi has lost about 30% of its' marketshare while nV has gained about 50%- two year comparison would have both of them almost equal- those are trends you can look at. In terms of trends the only clear cut winner at this point is Intel, only Via/SiS are clearly losers over the longer term. ATi/nV are going back and forth as they have been for a while now.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
As far as I can make out, Nvidia is on a obvious downwards trend, whereas AMD is on a more less equal/upwards trend.

1Q is an obvious trend- I have to hear an explenation of this, seriously. Unless you are very narrowly restricting your comments to notebook GPUs prior to the new Apple contract then I don't see how you can see a trend forming on 1Q worth of data.

Here is a 4 year breakout. In that timeframe, ATi has lost about 30% of its' marketshare while nV has gained about 50%- two year comparison would have both of them almost equal- those are trends you can look at. In terms of trends the only clear cut winner at this point is Intel, only Via/SiS are clearly losers over the longer term. ATi/nV are going back and forth as they have been for a while now.

Well said Ben Skywalker.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: thilan29

That's only for ONE month. ATI gained 2.5% in graphics marketshare and 55% in total sales in Q3 over Q2 2008 and that definitely has something to do with the 4XXX series. It wasn't AMDs saviour but it definitely didn't hinder the company.
It certainly did not hinder them at all. I would say the 48xx is the best card ATI has released since the X19xx.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
It certainly did not hinder them at all. I would say the 48xx is the best card ATI has released since the X19xx.

And hopefully (IMO) it's a turning point where they can get back marketshare to be approximately equal to nVidia (they've got a long way to go). Them being equal I think is better for us consumers.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: thilan29

And hopefully (IMO) it's a turning point where they can get back marketshare to be approximately equal to nVidia (they've got a long way to go). Them being equal I think is better for us consumers.

They may have an even longer way to go if Intel does indeed launch a discrete video card and funk everybody up.

Happily I am out of the video card market for a least a year or so. No worries.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007

Did you even look at the graph ? They went up .8% once, but after that they lost 5.2%, ending up 4.4% below their marketshare from a year earlier. Not sure what kind of statistic classes you had, but mine surely allowed for the use of 1 year trends ... It's volatile, sure, but chances are bigger nvidia will lose even more marketshare in Q4 '08, bigger then gaining marketshare.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Even with the bad PR of GT200 launch nV only loses 3%?

I guess the 30% drop in price really did help them stem the tide, even if it alienated some partners for a month or so.

I cant wait for the next round from nV and AMD.

thats including all IGPs though. Nvidia is selling plenty of geforce 8200 / 7200 /9400 etc.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Did you even look at the graph ? They went up .8% once, but after that they lost 5.2%, ending up 4.4% below their marketshare from a year earlier. Not sure what kind of statistic classes you had, but mine surely allowed for the use of 1 year trends ... It's volatile, sure, but chances are bigger nvidia will lose even more marketshare in Q4 '08, bigger then gaining marketshare.

The numbers you are talking about are for notebooks/laptops only(look at the chart you are using again :) ) and nVidia just landed the single largest notebook contract in the world. They instantly picked up(based on current marketshare numbers) ~10% of the entire market. How does that factor in to your trend? nVidia could lose 40% of their prior customers between the Q3 numbers and Q4 and still see a sizeable increase in marketshare. So for your conclusion to be accurate, we need to assume that nVidia is going to lose 50% or more of the marketshare they already held in one quarter.

If that is your honest assertion we need to get you and Charlie together to hang out.