[Q] Anyone play the board game Axis & Allies or Shogun?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
I have Shogun and Samurai, two games I've never ever played.. good condition I believe.. they worth anything? :D

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
I'll have to think about that maometh. Been awhile since I've played, I can't recall the situation there. :)

amish

JinxSOJO

Jun 1, 2001
Well, it is interesting that you think the German fighters are that valuable. Yes, they are valuable, but if UK or America try placing a Navy in the UK sea space, I would use every last plane keeping them out of that spot. And, with the amount of planes that Germany has, that can go on for a couple of rounds. Plus, if I saw that the US was coming going on the offensive towards Germany, I would immediately switch to defensive mode and load Europe up with infantry. You think its bad when Russia piles on the infantry, see what happens when Germany loads up with infantry. :) With all 3 allies focusing on Germany, I guarantee with the strategy that we use, Japan has rolled up to Russia's capital within 3 rounds(barring horrible dice rolling, of course). And with the economy that Germany has, they can last long enough for Japan to win the game. But, as soon as USA turns back around to deal with Japan, Germany will be able to go back on the offensive. Germany can withstand and beat UK and Russia. USA can turn the tide and force Germany on the defensive. But, a good Germany player will be able to hold out until Japan is so strong they can beat all 3 allies. Just the experience that I have had from the game, anyway.....

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Actually Squad Leader has been brought to the Computer:

the origianl Squad Leader computer game was supposed to be the Close Combat series but Atomic & Avalon Hill split on it so that never happened.

This passed year they released a horrible game called Advanced Squad Leader. I've never played it but I've heard it suck really bad.

I want to try Sudden Strike. It's gotten great reviews and it has over 1000 different units.

Cheers,
Aquaman

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The standard strategy was to pile infantry and all Russian forces into Karelia. If the Axis attacks first turn, they have a chance, albeit a small one, to beat that force. If they don't attack, by the second turn, Russia has nearly thirty infantry in there, plus tanks and aircraft. With UK/US bombing pressure from the West (perhaps an invasion into Western Europe if the naval struggle goes Allied way, usually a suicide mission though), the Russians can keep building a sizeable force. If Japan threatens, some infantry moves east, but pressure from the US keeps them occupied.

The "Karelian Fortress" strategy pretty much worked every time. Germany can't afford to attack with everything, leaving it vulnerable on the other side, but it also can't counter with the same force without sacrificing territory and giving the Allies a chance to build a bomber force.

It's not as simple as that, but I can't remember the other moves. There were some strategic retreats in the Pacific which made for some sizeable forces to counter the Japanese. It's been at least seven years since I've seen the game though.

Conquest of the Empire -- that's it! Great game.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
the game is a bit different with two boards... you can't see what the other guy has... without spy flights of course... i should got pick up some more boards but my friends swear they'll never play axis and allies again...

mosdef

Banned
May 14, 2000
I remember I played it once at my friend's house and he beat all of us in like 1 turn because he didn't explain anything.

-mosdef

May 31, 2001
My cousin always kicked my arse at Conquest Of The Empire, but I always trashed him when we played Axis & Allies, regardless of which side I was playing. When playing Fortress America, whoever played America always won. :p

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Anyone try the Avalon Hill game 'Battle Cry'? It's a civil war game. Looks interesting.

Cheers,
Aquaman

weshuang

Feb 7, 2001
Re. Allies dominance, if you play with the third edition rules, it changes the balance dramatically. One of the most important rule changes are that the number of units factories can produce in any round is limited to the number if IPC's for a territory. So, the strategy of dropping a UK factory in Africa is severely limited, to producing 1-2 tanks per turn.

I bought but haven't yet played the new A&A: Europe. It is not a reissue of the old game, but a much different and cool looking game. There are two new units -- Destroyers and Artillary. Planes can no longer attack subs unless accompanied by destroyers, which makes sense. Infantry accompanied by artillary gets a bonus. There are also sea lanes for the Allies. This is essentially, I think, IPC values for sea zones. This introduces the Wolfpack campaign into the game - Germany can disrupt money by controlling sea lanes in the Atlantic. Also, Saudi Arabia becomes important - I think that Germany can basically actually take money (not just IPC production) from Allied players by siezing Middle Eastern (oil) countries.

xyyz

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000

I loved Axis And Allies... we never actually finished a game.. we kept on stacking units (didnt hae a no stacking rule)... hell we ran outta' chips so we started using coins... you should have seen the copper towers on the board.

We'd play for hours and hours and hour... the only part that sucked was when someone needed to stretch and would accidently kick the board ruining everything.

xyyz

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000

<< The thing with Axis and Allies is all dependent on the rolls of the dice. I have personally lost an entire fleet of battleships and carriers to a bunch of transports and subs. My cannon fodder gave out early, and I could not roll anything remotely close to a hit. Damn, and I think those transports sunk more battleships than the subs did!.

Being one of the worlds unluckiest people. these games are always lost for me.
>>

They can't but the had a 1 defense remember. I lost many'a bomber to bloody transports.