[Q] Anyone play the board game Axis & Allies or Shogun?

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Anyone play the Hasbro board games Axis & Allies or Shogun (I think they changed the name to Sword of the Samurai or Samurai Sword)??? I was just wondering if anyone remembered the name of another game that Hasbro brought out at the same time. It was about the Roman empire or something like that. I forget the name.

ps. They have re-released the Axis & Allies games in two sets, Pacific & Europe.

Cheers,
Aquaman

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
I've got it on the computer but it's no funny playing the computer because the AI sucks.

Cheers,
Aquaman

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i used to play axis and allies all the time. to make if fun you had to mod the rules, like we played with 2 boards and spying/reconaissance using fighters so you never knew where the enemy was. of course, you had to trust the other guy not to cheat. spent 2 days playing 1 game once or twice or more. those were the days.

WasabiCat

May 31, 2001
yes, Axis & Allies was pretty coo :)
just had to avoid sneezing or making unnecessary hand movements.. or else it was all over!

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
We used to play Axis & Allies all the time in college, but when we figured out the strategy that made it impossible for Axis to win, it became boring (believe me, we tried everything -- only luck allowed Axis to win). We tried some other variations.

The Roman one is great, too, but I can't remember the name at all. I loved that one, more than A&A, but no one in our group cared as much about it. :) I also bought the American invasion one, but I can't remember the name of it.

Anghang

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2001
i had the Shogun game, they did change the name....
didn't play it much tho...was too lazy to read the instructions in entirety...hehe

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
I think the invasion was called Invasion America or USA. I never did play that one.

Cheers,
Aquaman

Buddhist

Golden Member
Jan 15, 2000
the roman one i do believe would be "conquest" but i'm not sure.
I played that one too...but its not as good as axis or shogun (samurai swords)

By far the best board game though is Diplomacy by Avalon hill.

Hands down, best strategy board game of this century.
BTW i'm always looking for strategy gamers in the bay area (california) as i'm a member of a little group of stragey gaming guys who always game atleast once a week during the summer!

-M.T.O

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Never played Diplomacy but I was a real Squad Lead junky when I was highschool (before it became Advanced Squad Leader).

Cheers,
Aquaman

Buddhist

Golden Member
Jan 15, 2000
other good strategy games:

Titan :The Arena (card (non CCG), betting game) Avalon Hill.
Honor of the Samurai (card game (non CCG), fun though)
Warhammer 40K :D (going to go play all night tonight! muaha god i'm such a geek)

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Wasn't it Fortress USA?

Whoever said that the Axis can't win Axis and Allies has never played me. You probably didn't read the rule book or something...

I have played a couple of times recently and MANY times I college. Axis and Allies is quite simply the best board game ever made.

My friend (weshuang) just got the new Axis & Allies Europe game, but we haven't played it yet. It looks REALLY awesome.

HansHurt

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2001
Yea, I have played most of the Avolon Hill games

Squad Leader, and all that....also 1/72 WWII battles, and such.

Not to mention RPG's galore

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
I just bought both the new Pacific & Europe versions of A&A. I've not played them yet though. Hopefully next Saturday.

Cheers,
Aquaman

DaLeroy

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2000
Yup, remember me and my bro bought them both when we were very young (12-14) :) Had hours of fun with those games!

BA

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 1999
Believe the American one is Fortress America. It's up in my room, got it at a garage sale for $5. Used to play A&A all the time in elementary and middle school.

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
These are the kind of games that are fun to play like risk but a little bit more challenging :D Nothing to mind numbing like Third Riech or Some of Avalon Hills more challenging War Games ;)

Cheers,
Aquaman

piku

Diamond Member
May 30, 2000
My friend is addicted like crack to Axis and Allies. He has been playing since he was 8 or something :)

One of the rules he always used to use is that if the Axis won they would have to battle it out for world supremacy... I thought it was a pretty cool idea when he told me that, because really thats what would have ended up happening :)

nicowju

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2001
I used to play Axis And Allies board game! Still do! Greatest board game ever IMHO :)

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Warhammer 40k I an awsome game. It is all about the Imperial Guard and massive ammounts of infantry:)

I also like Warhammer Fantasy. Prefere Dwarfs here.